ch-scene - Re: Stuff to Do, Week of February 16, 2006

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Stuff to Do, Week of February 16, 2006
  • Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2006 01:46:13 -0500

In my haste to post & go home, I didn't specify that I didn't write/code/whatever the thing; I'm just working on redoing parts of my site to make it easy enough to maintain that I'll actually do it consistently.

The app is called XSPF Web Music Player & it can be found here: http://musicplayer.sourceforge.net/

I went looking for something like it after realizing that one reason bands are so willing to put up with MySpace & its annoyances is that the music just plays when you hit the page without having to think about it. Surely there's something free & open-source that bands could use on their own sites, I said. Sure enough there was.

& once I saw how it worked, it became obvious that I could write a script to auto-populate the thing's playlist with whatever MP3s I happened to have for the week's bands. Now I gotta download a lot of damn MP3s . . .

My friend Jake also kinda poked me in that direction by showing me this: http://podbop.org/

So here we are. I still have about 100 things to add/update to trianglerock.com (for instance: I've been adding videos to http://www.trianglerock.com/video/ but still haven't had time to link to it from anywhere within the site itself --- content-creation seems to win out over structure every time) but I'm ever so slowly moving towards 2002.

Which reminds me: Craig Z told me about this tonight: http://www.themusictreehouse.com/

Ross

Chris Calloway wrote:
--- grady <grady AT ibiblio.org> wrote: