ch-scene - Re: Stuff to Do, Week of February 16, 2006

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Stuff to Do, Week of February 16, 2006
  • Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 17:40:47 -0500

I'm playing with something that, if I recall correctly, will make a lot of y'all happy. It's a flash-based audio player loaded with all the mp3s I could find by the bands playing this week (the ones listed on trianglerock.com, at least). It's linked from the very bottom of the frontpage at trianglerock.com, or you can get to it directly here: http://www.ibiblio.org/ch-scene/audio/

Once I'm happy with it, it will be easily findable/linkable from various points on trianglerock.com, so don't worry too much about bookmarking.

Try it out, see what breaks it, etc.

It used to resize yr browser window, so as to make it easier for you to drag it off to one side & keep it going while you browse, but I decided it was less-evil to leave it alone & let you resize, or multi-tab, or whatever. It's your browser.

xo

Ross

p.s. BANDS: If you don't make your MySpace MP3s download-able, then (a) you suck (;-)) and (b) I can't include them in this doodad. Your call.

grady wrote:
This weekend is the Nevermore Film Festival at the Carolina in Durham; lots of crazy new horror, both Asian & American. Check out www.carolinatheatre.org.

Rockwise:

Thursday, February 16
Jon Shain [http://www.jonshain.com], Stillhouse
[http://www.stillhousetheband.com/]
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Thursday, February 16
The Ghost of Always [http://www.theghostofalways.com/], The Miss Fits,
Network Of Terror [http://www.networkofterror.com/], Map Says We're
Fucked
Marvell Building, Durham

Thursday, February 16
Bibis Ellison [http://bibisellison.elektrikcoma.com/], Sand Cats
[http://www.tigerbeat6.com/cex/sandcats], Lexie Mountain Boys
[http://www.myspace.com/mountainlex]
Reservoir, Carrboro

Roby Newton used to live here; she sang & played keyboards for
Milemarker. She set her arms on fire. Now she's half of Sand Cats,
along with her man Rjyan Kidwell, a.k.a. Cex.

Thursday, February 16
Remora [http://www.silbermedia.com/remora/], Veronique Diabolique
[http://www.veroniquediabolique.com/], Plumerai
[http://www.plumerai.com/]
Kings, Raleigh

Friday, February 17
Gerty [http://www.gerty.org], Dirty Little Heaters
[http://www.thedirtylittleheaters.com], Midtown Dickens
Duke Coffeehouse, Durham

Every single person in all three bands is celebrating his or her
birthday tonight. How is this possible? The Rhythm Method, natch.

Gerty[!] are an electro-pop trio who're far more "rockin" now that
they've added ex-Butchies drummer Melissa York. They make people clap
their hands over their heads like they're at Live Aid. Voluntarily.

Dirty Little Heaters are a two-piece (gtr/drums) who I'd compare to
all the best moments of all the best riot grrrl bands if I thought
you'd take that as the compliment it would be. I can't be sure about
y'all, though, so I'll just call 'em great pummelling blues-rock.
([http://www.trianglerock.com/video/] video here)

Friday, February 17
Patty Hurst Shifter [http://www.pattyhurstshifter.com], The Strugglers
[http://www.thestrugglers.org/], Dexter Romweber and the New Romans
[http://www.myspace.com/dexterromweber]
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Patty Hurst Shifter have a brand new CD out; they make
southern-inflected bar-rock with a literate streak. Their drummer gave
me my first buzz haircut back in the 90s, for which I probably still
owe him a beer.

Dex Romweber was half of Flat Duo Jets for a big chunk of the 80s and
90s. Their last album, "Lucky Eye," was a blissful blast of horn-laced
R&B&rock&roll, but Dex never really got to front a band like that
until last year, when his friend Dave Schmitt helped him put together
his New Romans.

The Strugglers put out one of the best albums of 2005, "You Win." They
make slow-burning depressive quavery-voiced art-country-folk that more
than lives up to the Smog/Palace comparisons it tends to get.

Friday, February 17
Joe Romeo [http://www.myspace.com/joeromeomusic], The Weight
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Joe Romeo used to sing & play guitar for the recently-departed Fake
Swedish. This is his first "solo" show (I think he's put together a
band he's calling the Orange County Volunteers).

Friday, February 17
Maxwell/Mosher [http://www.maxwellmosher.com/]
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Friday, February 17
L in Japanese [http://artists.iuma.com/IUMA/Bands/L_in_Japanese/],
Kerbloki [http://www.kerbloki.com/], Social Memory Complex
[http://www.myspace.com/socialmemorycomplex]
Reservoir, Carrboro

Saturday, February 18
Acariya [http://www.myspace.com/acariya], Black Ritual
[http://www.myspace.com/blackritual], Headbelt
[http://www.myspace.com/headbelt]
305 South, Durham

This is the weekly Metal Matinee (real metal this week), which
commences at 4:20 every Saturday at 305 South. N.B: if you plan to do
any shopping at the Electric Blender, get there early--their winter
hours are 12-5 and they close at 5:00 whether the rest of the building
is overrun with teen metalheads or not.

Saturday, February 18
Cantwell, Gomez, Jordan [http://www.cantwellgomezandjordan.com],
Ahleuchatistas [http://www.ahleuchatistas.com/go.php], The Nethers
[http://www.netherscomputer.com/]
Bickett Gallery, Raleigh

Ahleuchatistas are from Asheville; they make spazzmo freakout music
that's like Cantwell Gomez & Jordan played backwards at double speed.

Saturday, February 18
Pyramid, The Prayers and Tears of Arthur Digby Sellers
[http://www.prayersandtears.com/], Nathan Asher & the Infantry
[http://www.nathanasher.com/]
Lincoln Theater, Raleigh

Nathan Asher and PATOADS frontman Perry Wright have both managed to
retain a level of earnest sincerity that yr average indie-rocker lost
by age 14, and that seems to resonate with a whole clutch of young
rockfans who find most local indie-rock offputting.

Asher's Infantry are a big rock band in the classic E-Street style,
although Nathan manages to cram about 3x as many words into a song
than Bruce does.

Prayers and Tears of Arthur Digby Sellers write intensely
personal-seeming songs about failed relationships and the struggle to
find one's place in the universe; I get the feeling that a lot of it
is "fiction" in the same way that so much of the Mountain Goats ouvre
is "fiction," which is to say simultaneously entirely and not-so-much.
Mtn. Goats and PATOADS have toured extensively together lately, in
fact, although I should clarify that sonically they're nonsimilar.

Pyramid are from Charlotte, and had a great song on Compulation Vol.
2, but I've never seen them.

Saturday, February 18
des_ark [http://www.des-ark.org], The Physics of Meaning
[http://www.thephysicsofmeaning.com/], Pattern is Movement
[http://www.patternismovement.com/], The Silent Press
[http://www.thesilentpress.com/tour/]
Duke Coffeehouse, Durham

The Physics of Meaning are a Bu Hanan band, which means they're part
of a Chapel Hill-based collective who record together, playing on each
other's records & in each other's bands onstage. Other Bu Hanan
artists include Kapow Music, David Karsten Daniels, and probably their
best-known band, the Prayers & Tears of Arthur Digby Sellers.

What they all have in common (apart from long names) are elaborate
chamber-pop/laptop arrangements (Physics of Meaning frontman Daniel
Hart is a violinist & has played with Polyphonic Spree) and a lotta
songs with a lotta words about life, the universe, and everything.

des_ark is currently just Aimee, although she just spent a few days on
the road with the Bu Hanan folks, which I think means they're now
required to sit in with her. (I actually saw Daniel sit in on violin
for a few songs with her last year, and it was beautiful.)

Saturday, February 18
The Moaners, Red Smokes White [http://www.myspace.com/redsmokeswhite],
Spider Bags
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Sunday, February 19
100 Yorktown [http://www.geocities.com/onehundredyorktown/], Teenage
Prayers [http://www.teenageprayers.com/]
The Cave, Chapel Hill

I got an email from a VP at some Clear Channel subsidiary, wanting me
to promote this Teenage Prayers show, either via the web or the radio.
She made a point of telling me that she was emailing me as a fan of
the band, and not as a VP at some Clear Channel subsidiary.

They own how many radio stations, Clear Channel, and their execs can't
even figure out a way to sneak their fave bands onto the air? I don't
know if I should be appalled or impressed.

Monday, February 20
Richard Buckner [http://www.richardbuckner.com/], Doug Gillard
[http://www.douggillard.com/]
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, February 21
Social Junk [http://socialjunk.net/], Pedestrian Deposit
[http://www.freewebs.com/monorail/pd.html], Brian Miller & Kevin
Shields [http://www.deathbombarc.com/brianandkevin.htm]
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Nightlight sez:

"Hot touring noise from CA. Pedestrian Deposit is one of the harshest
live acts in the US, brutal cuts and intensity worth your while. Brian
and Kevin even things out with some good times fall-down-and-laugh
noise-stylings."

Tuesday, February 21
The Eames Era [http://www.theeamesera.com/], A Fir-Ju Well
[http://www.afirjuwell.com/]
Kings, Raleigh

Wednesday, February 22
Fluff Chick [http://www.duke.edu/~alangley/fluffchick2.htm]
The Cave, Chapel Hill

This is the early show (7:30ish, maybe?) and the front room of the
Cave is nonsmoking. They're probably not even gonna charge you money
to get in the door. If you've fallen out of the habit of going to
rockshows, here's a good opportunity to get back on that particular
horse, nearly painlessly.

Wednesday, February 22
Heads on Sticks [http://www.thisisstrange.org/]
Bickett Gallery, Raleigh

Thursday, February 23
Sweater Weather [http://www.sweater-weather.com], The Naturals, Mowgli
[http://www.myspace.com/mowglimowgli], Saunter
[http://www.sauntermusic.com/]
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Sweater Weather make long multi-partite indie-chamber-pop songs, *and*
they're apparently popular with the UNC students, which means you can
hit this show for the musical and/or the anthropological.

Thursday, February 23
Sword Heaven [http://www.swordheaven.org]
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Thursday, February 23
Chachalaca, Grasshopper
Kings, Raleigh

Thursday, February 23
Can Joann [http://www.canjoann.com/], A Rooster for the Masses
[http://www.myspace.com/aroosterforthemasses]
The Library, Chapel Hill

A Rooster for the Masses are from Raleigh; they make moody
Brit-influenced dance-pop that sounds like it stems from that same
uneasy period in the early 80s that found Gang of Four experimenting
with disco, and Joy Division morphing into New Order in the wake of
Ian Curtis's suicide. Politics and disco, morbidity & synth-pop.

--------> http://www.trianglerock.com <--------