ch-scene - Goodbye Clyde Cooper's? (Progress Marches On)

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Bryk <chscene AT bryk.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Goodbye Clyde Cooper's? (Progress Marches On)
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 13:01:17 -0500

Might be getting close to last call if you're a fan of Clyde Cooper's BBQ.

We print their Menus at the print shop where I work, and when I proofed the menu this morning I was like "MMM, sounds like a good idea for lunch today." My boss was like, "well, you'd better eat there a lot because they might not be there for much longer." This was from last week:

http://www.newsobserver.com/102/story/382616.html

New plans for old block
Progress Energy wants to raze the debilitated area and build a complex with a garage, apartments and shops

The Progress Energy building downtown overshadows Clyde Cooper's BBQ and Catering, which would be demolished.
FRANK NORTON, Staff Writer

Progress Energy is readying its next phase of a campaign to redevelop downtown.
This time, company officials want to level an entire city block to make way for a massive parking garage wrapped with apartments, shops and offices.

The project would force several longtime small businesses on the site to relocate, including Clyde Cooper's BBQ and Catering and Reliable Loan & Jewelry. While negotiations are in the early stages, the project is the latest sign that efforts to revitalize downtown Raleigh are taking hold.

I don't read the N&O that often, so this came as a shock to me.

The sad part of this story is, Tony (who owns Cooper's) told my boss the above article was the first he even heard about his possible eviction. Progress had never even sent him a courtesy letter stating their intent.

One less Q institution, I guess.

Hey, we've got a brand new Boddie-Noell "BBQ & Ribs Co." franchise on St. Mary's though! Hooray! Progress Marches On!