ch-scene - Re: someone ought to hip them to Nightlight

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "dj golf" <mcass AT mindspring.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: someone ought to hip them to Nightlight
  • Date: 29 Dec 2005 06:59:05 -0800

>From the request line...

Wolf Eyes were just about perfect in every way imaginable. My only
complaint is that it could have been louder (I actually took my
earplugs out.) WE, for the uninitiated, are kind of like Swans "Filth"
meets Throbbing Gristle "Thee Psychick Sacrifice" except without all
the pop melodies. Their percussion tracks are the sound of a meat
robot with one leg shot off crawling towards the phone to call 911.
The disc on Sub Pop is phenomenal; I drove around with the windows down
a lot this fall just so I could share it with everyone. You have to
love song titles like "Urine Burn" and "Black Vomit" (ever read "The
Hot Zone?")

Side note: another dead giveaway re the M.A.N. site is their mention of
the WE song title "Human Slaughterhouse" which is a "new jam" (acc. to
John Olson as he introduced it to start the 506 set) that one would
have actually had to attend a show to know about.

Prurient were (or was - it's one guy with a mic and a table full of
distortion boxes) not quite as easy to listen to; set lasted perhaps 15
minutes and that was about the right length. Sort of a minimalist
Whitehouse but no lyrics about mass murder, bondage & degradation etc.
Just a shirtless guy with his back turned to the audience screaming
unintelligibly over ear-piercing feedback. Fun to watch but I don't
think I need the CD.

Speaking of, the merch table was pretty impressive. I think just about
the entire US noise underground was represented on either CD, DVD,
vinyl or cassette. It was interesting to learn that there is at least
one band named after virtually every known serial killer (Richard
Ramirez being the most prolific. Not sure what they sound like but I
bet I can guess.)

dj golf in for marty c