ch-scene - Rhapsody for Macs

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "Glenn Boothe / Local 506" <gboothe2 AT earthlink.net>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Rhapsody for Macs
  • Date: 15 Dec 2005 09:57:45 -0800

When I made the switch from PC back to Mac last year, the biggest
disappointment was the fact that Rhapsody was not available for Macs.
To the point, every few months I would check their site to see if it
was compatible. Oddly enough, I checked last week to no avail - and on
the very next day, got an email tipping me that Rhapsody for Mac's was
coming...and it's here!

If you''re not familiar with Rhapsody, for a monthly fee of $9.99, you
can listen online to entire albums by almost anyone. Of course, they
have a lot of major label stuff, but my first seaches turned up Animal
Collective and Blood on the Wall. It's pretty deep. A great deal for
even the moderate music fan.

In my opinion, it is the best online music service. Sure, you can't
download the songs to your iPod without paying more, but you can listen
to stuff in it's entirety to determine if you want to buy it. And for
those who don't think that works, some of my fave early Rhapsody albums
were Outkast and My Morning Jacket, both of which also ended up in my
CD collection.

Just in my first few hours back, I've checked out Tom Vek, listened to
the "Rubber Soul" tribute (thank god I didn't buy it!), Nellie McKay
and even Fall Out Boy (my 13 year old nephews favorite band.)

glenn

np: Kate Bush - "The Kick Inside" (after reading about her new album
and career retrospective in the new Mojo, or Uncut - can't remember.)