ch-scene - Re: OT:contract work

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Chris Rossi <nospam AT spacelabstudio.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: OT:contract work
  • Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 12:57:17 -0500

Most contract positions still net vacation and health benefits. Maybe not as good as what the state offers and you they take the medical out of your paycheck. But it sounds like a step up for you. What would you be doing? I actually moved to this area because I got a contract job with the IBM PC Company (now Lenovo). If you end up liking the job, it'll behoove you to go full time. Contracting firms are criminal. At least the one I worked for was. But even with them stealing half your pay, it's probably better than what the state is paying you.

chris

James Hepler wrote:
I've been offered a job in RTP as a contract guy. The
pay is considerably more than the state currently pays
me, but I'd be giving up the flexible schedule I
enjoy, the paid health care for what it's worth, the
ample vacation time and sick leave, and the job
security that the state offers.

I know a lot of you kind folks have worked in the park
or currently do. I'm just trying to get a feel for
what it's like.

I'd be working at a company called Lenovo, but I would
be employed (I guess) by TEKsystems, an IT staffing
firm in Raleigh.

Any help or advice that you can share would be greatly
appreciated.

Also, The Wusses, this Friday night at Kings, 11ish. Don't miss it!

Hep

__________________________________ Yahoo! Music Unlimited Access over 1 million songs. Try it free. http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited/