ch-scene - Re: 1980s local rocker done good

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "Tim Harper" <tharper AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: 1980s local rocker done good
  • Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 06:27:07 GMT

"Todd Morman" <tmorman AT nc.rr.com> wrote in message
> Thought it worth mentioning that Russ Stephenson, former bass player for
UV
> Prom, has just been elected to the Raleigh City Council. I dealt with him
> briefly in my past life as a journalist and he seemed like a genuinely
nice
> guy - someone who just might turn into a fairly sharp left-leaning local
> pol.
>
> If he can keep his more kneejerk 'pro-neighborhood' supporters in check,
> that is. You remember *them*; they were among the strongest voices a
couple
> of years ago calling for strict limitations on the number of unrelated
> slackers who should be allowed to live together in Raleigh's apparently
> 'family-only' downtown neighborhoods. Geary at the Indy pooh-poohed the
> resulting protest, in which a couple of hundred of us jammed the council
> chambers to shoot the idea down, but it's obvious there are still
> 'neighborhood' advocates who'd like to see the limits happen, and a lot of
> us whose antennae still become alert at (cough) 'pro-neighborhood' talk.
>
> todd congratulations but with eyes and ears open morman

Nice mention.
Raleigh is lucky to have him.
Ditto on the 'pro-neighborhood' euphemism group. While I'm apt to believe
that they are more frightened of destructive renters than alternative
lfestyle folks or just people grouping together to afford a nice abode, the
moniker and policy lend themselves to judgmental aspects. Anyhow, everyone
is always welcome here in Carrboro. If we get enough takers maybe Jesse's
crew will finally put up that fence they've always been talking about. I'm
sure the deer would appreciate it.

Tim