ch-scene - Re: raleigh modernism

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: John I <not AT hotmail.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: raleigh modernism
  • Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 13:51:29 GMT

John Iwaniszek wrote:

> grady AT ibiblio.org (grady) wrote in 434C1921.1000406 AT ibiblio.org:">news:434C1921.1000406 AT ibiblio.org:
>

>> John I wrote:

>>> It's the Catalano House (no longer) located on Catalano Drive off of
>>> Ridge Road.
>>>
>>> http://www.jetsetmodern.com/catalano.htm
>>> -- ch-scene: the list that mirrors alt.music.chapel-hill --
>>> http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/ch-scene
>>>

>> Preservation NC would want to know about any opportunities to preserve
>> more 50s-era NC Design School houses, since they're feeling kinda
>> shitty about the demise of the Catalano house: http://www.presnc.org/
>>
>> Did you see the article in Dwell about the moving of the Raleigh
>> Matsumoto house to Bahama?
>>
>> (not online, annoyingly)
>>
>> & actually, you should snap some photos of the one in Chapel Hill &
>> email them to Dwell. http://www.dwellmag.com
>>
>> Or contact Nathan Wieler -- He'd probably be interested:
>>
>> http://www.wieler.com/
>>
>> (He's the owner (unless he's managed to sell it already - I heard it
>> was on the market) of the first Dwell Home, out near Pittsboro. He's
>> now in business selling similarly-modernist prefab homes.)
>>
>> Ross
>

> The problem I have with this whole thing is that if these houses served
> their function, then they would not be decaying or fallen to disrepair.
> My house is vintage 1962 single-family-detached and it is highly
> livable, in good repair, and appreciating in value.
>
> I get that the Catalano house, et al. are objets d'arte, but why didn't
> they survive as houses? Wouldn't Bucky sigh and concede that form
> somehow didn't serve function in these ephemeral dwellings?

Speaking of Bucky and far-out dwellings, I spent a week at the beach in Waves
this summer at one of the geodesic dome beach houses you occasionallly see
down there. It was very spacious and the floor plan was really efficient and
very welcoming. It was such a nice living space that I am amazed that domes
aren't more popular.