ch-scene - Re: Electronic Stuff to Do, Week of August 23, 2005

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: rick sawyer <rickbang AT gmail.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Electronic Stuff to Do, Week of August 23, 2005
  • Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 10:10:48 -0400

> I hate to say it, but this kind of stuff has kind of been getting short
> shrift in the Indy over the last few months, even though I've heard multiple
> times that event info had been sent to the calendar person. I understand why
> it doesn't make Ross' list, but I'm not sure I understand the hole in the
> Indy's coverage. I listened to a couple of DJs a month or so ago wonder why
> their repeated attempts to promote a visiting nationally known female DJ
> from Philadelphia had resulted in nothing appearing in the local weekly. One
> turned to the other and said, "It's not indie rock." The other just nodded.

to be fair to the indy, they do feature regular coverage of salsa and
other world music, courtesy of sylvia pfeiffenberger, one of their
best music writers and (not coincidentally) the only woman.

consider the indy's position. if they ran articles on electronic
music, they wouldn't also have room for a salsa piece and a two page
hagiography of the cherry valence, now would they?

remember when the indy had hip-hop coverage? and how we (meaning
those of us on this listserv, as well as those of us in the triangle
who can read) disparaged the efforts of k8 erwin with such ferocity
that she got sacked? we carry a horrible burden.

it's horrible because i detect a bias in our own house. not a single
one of us has similarly disparaged rock writer [redacted] whose
sentences resemble what it would look like if one adjective,
travelling without brake lights, came to an abrupt stop on the
adjective freeway.

besides which, electronic dance nights are the kinds of things that
breed racial harmony -- the very thing that stands between "the
creative class" and the complete honkification of downtown durham.

r!