ch-scene - Electronic Stuff to Do, Week of August 23, 2005

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "Todd Morman" <tmorman AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: "RTP-area local music and culture" <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Electronic Stuff to Do, Week of August 23, 2005
  • Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 21:13:23 -0500

About the Troika Grand Finale, I'd just add that "Raleigh jazz-funk weirdos"
Odd International are an improv jazz/funk/noise group that includes some of
the more experimental players around, who also happen to be very cool folks.
I hear the lineup changes, but when they played at a recent Jazz Anew, the
weekly Thursday electronic night at Aries Lounge, they were:

DJ Kraze Rock - turntables / efx
Xopher "Tuffa" Thurston - basses
Broadway - trap kit
Crowmeat "Bob" - sax / guitar
Parrish Anderson - sax / keyboards

FWIW, Kraze Rock is a great DJ. The others you might already know.

Also, this Thursday's Jazz Anew at Aries features the return of Porangui
from Brazil; his send-off party had the place insane a couple of months ago.
And (thanks to Laurin, whom you CHers know) Chicago house DJ Mark Grant
(http://www.djmarkgrant.com) is playing at the Bickett Gallery on Friday.
And Saturday is the return of the "Hot Damn" hell/priest/nun-themed party at
Kings (my roommate's involved with that one). The next night, Sunday,
Laurin's having a record release party at Kings' Neu Romance weekly. And the
Glamoore folks still do their thing eachThurs at Sushi Blues
and Fri & Sat at Cafe Cyclo.

I hate to say it, but this kind of stuff has kind of been getting short
shrift in the Indy over the last few months, even though I've heard multiple
times that event info had been sent to the calendar person. I understand why
it doesn't make Ross' list, but I'm not sure I understand the hole in the
Indy's coverage. I listened to a couple of DJs a month or so ago wonder why
their repeated attempts to promote a visiting nationally known female DJ
from Philadelphia had resulted in nothing appearing in the local weekly. One
turned to the other and said, "It's not indie rock." The other just nodded.

todd gotta keep fighting the same battles over and over and over again it
seems morman