ch-scene - Re: Troika Music Festival at Joe & Jo's Downtown

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Troika Music Festival at Joe & Jo's Downtown
  • Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 09:40:23 -0400

Hey Lou, do you sit on your Honda Scooter while you're checking your AOL email account?

You actually spelled Quarantines correctly. Guess all that stuff they say about Speed helping you use more of your brain must be the truth.

I didn't make it to the first night (I suspect that, like me, many people were forced to admit that there's only so much sleep they can lose in one work-week, and have picked-and-chosen accordingly) but there was a decent crowd at Joe & Jo's last night. Half of them were in bands, but that's kinda par for the course in a town where half of *everybody* is in a band, or so it seems sometimes.

Jaguaro & Hotel Motel rocked like they always do (best Hot-Mot set yet, I think, at least of the ones I've seen) but the standout for me was Maple Stave, who had to play a short set because their guitarist was jetting to Raleigh to play in another band (Port Huron Statement, maybe? I missed the details on that), so they crammed all their energy into those 3-4 songs in 20 minutes. They do this thing where one or the other of them will yell wordlessly, seemingly at random, and in other circumstances/bands it could seem contrived, but last night it seemed like they were just playing so hard they couldn't fucking help it.

As far as Tuesday goes, I haven't heard anything about the turnout at Wetlands in Chapel Hill, but if I'd been going out I would've headed there rather than Joe & Jo's, and not just because Chapel Hill is closer to home, so maybe turnout was better over there . . .

Either way, y'all daren't miss Ricky Dollars tonight at J&J's, and then your 10-o-clock hour is gonna be fukt because you'll have to choose between the WiggRpt-> Prayers&Tears-> MtnGoats lineup at the coffeehouse, or my current (on CD, at least--haven't seen them) new obsession Opening Flower Happy Bird at J&J's, or the New Fall Season of Ticonderoga at Local 506.

xo

Ross

Lou Reed wrote:
Opening night of TROIKA in Durham was lame last eve. Nobody came out.
What a let down. The bands were ok. The Quarantines (probably spelled
wrong) were the standout act.