ch-scene - Ch-scene Digest, Vol 16, Issue 23

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Michael Warren <p_michael_warren AT yahoo.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Ch-scene Digest, Vol 16, Issue 23
  • Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 14:26:29 -0800 (PST)

Race tracks, bowling alleys, factories, railroads,

highways, airports, farms, prisons, and even military

bases get the same crap from self-serving idiots who

moved in after the fact. These people should be ignored,

but unfortunately many elected officials are also

self-serving idiots.

Mike

Right now in Williamsburg and the Lower East Side, NYC, clubs are being shut
down because investment bankers are buying apartments in what they see as
"hot" "hip" "underpriced" (to them) neighborhoods, then complaining about the
very things that create hotness and hipness in those neighborhoods, i.e. the
nightclubs. People with money (I would say yuppies except that the term is
meaningless now) buy near clubs because they imagine a fun atmosphere which
will offset the drabness of their lives. Then they have a kid and get livid
because the booming bass 10 blocks away wakes the baby, which cries all
night. Then the yuppies (so to speak, we're all whores here) can't get enough
sleep to slog through their 80 hour a week jobs, and they march down to City
Hall. They own property and pay a lot of taxes, so they always win in the
end. If you put 100 apartments atop the Cat's Cradle, I guarantee one of the
buyers is going to have a problem with the music within 2 years of the
apartments going
on the market, and there will be big problems. Another consideration: this
development sounds vaguely like the Reston Town Center, scourge of my
hometown (if by scourge one means the sort of place one hates and everyone
else loves) - a fake downtown area which looks and feels like a movie set.
Sounds like a good compromise on paper but is entirely prefab and gross in
real life. Carrboro is a small town, not a suburb in need of a fake downtown
where "Freedom Street" meets "Democracy Drive."for
reference:http://www.restontowncenter.com/popmap.htmlRAMessage: 14Date: Wed,
23 Feb 2005 11:06:39 -0500From: grady <grady at ibiblio.org>Subject: Re:
cradle & arts center moveTo: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene at
lists.ibiblio.org>Message-ID: <421CAA0F.80808 at ibiblio.org>Content-Type:
text/plain; charset=windows-1252; format=flowedHeh. I hope they read the
"First Person" thing in last week's Indy by the lady who moved into Downtown
Durham expecting it to be silent as a fucking
tomb, all about how upset she is that there's a club in Downtown Durham that
makes noise after dark.And while I sure as shit wouldn't want to live
anywhere near a club, especially one with booming bass, that's one reason why
I bought several acres of land in the country & built a house smack in the
middle of it. Rather than, you know, buying a building right in the middle of
a downtown commercial district & then moving into it.I said this when Christa
posted the previous info, and I'll say it again: I predict hasslements from
people moving into the apartment/condos in this development if there is *any*
noise after 10:00 p.m. from either the Cradle, the ArtsCenter, or the new
outdoor amphitheater between them.I love the idea of mixed-use developments
and people living above commercial space, but it may be harder than people
imagine to quickly make the transition from a suburban/small-town headspace
to a more urban/mixed-use headspace. Certainly the person who wrote the piece
in the
Indy seemed to have *no* room in her headspace for the notion that a
downtown area might be noisy after dark.Ross

MADDMIKES Karaoke/ D.J.
BOTTOMS UP BAND (336) 503-9585 (336) 504-1626
p_michael_warren AT yahoo.com
http://www.geocities.com/p_michael_warren/index.html

>From jameshepler AT yahoo.com Wed Feb 23 17:28:36 2005

b=ELKI7Hajo+r3QpZf0n0YosPXBWMr7CyUFHnknJ5YEtMdGrePtR/bhLVGHIbXERUBBNkjOiB580iyB8xhM32kf7Rw3FH4y7AV/n9EQRzgCX/qWx4sVUBOj5ysk0/Kqnb+81n8NHWea5jFnyN2eSTPHkVpkoo9XAXr842zbrXSP1o=
;