ch-scene - Re: cradle & arts center move

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Chris Calloway <ifoufo AT yahoo.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: cradle & arts center move
  • Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 13:26:03 -0800 (PST)

--- grady <grady AT ibiblio.org> wrote:
> Yes, but they were making nice soft squishy
> cigarettes -- nothing more
> than the quiet whirr of tiny paper cylinders
> stacking themselves into
> neat little pyramids & then dancing together into
> the packs . . .

it's too bad we can't take tours of whittaker park
anymore in w-s. ciggy factories make a pretty constant
hum on the outside cuz inside those "quiet whirr"
machines are loud as shit. plus there's trucks and
trains and beeping forklifts backing up. plus
warehouse doors slamming. plus vortex fans for
pneumatic conveyance. they might be "light" industry.
but they make a racket.

i think they used to make those machines jam on
command because the machine which stuffed the leaf
inside the paper tube would shoot a long stream of
continuous ciggy out on every tour i ever went on
right as we'd walk by it. and, of course, what with
school trips and church trips and boy scout trips, we
got to tour it pretty often.

downtown is much quieter than it used to be.

3