ch-scene - Undergraduates and Local Music

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: william brafford <randyunplugged AT yahoo.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Undergraduates and Local Music
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 13:04:07 -0800 (PST)

Ross and I have been swapping e-mails, but I'm going
to bite the mullet and take this discussion public.

First, let me introduce myself. I'm Randy, and I'm
dedicated to doing anything in my power to bring
undergrads out to shows.

Last year (freshman year), I kept hearing such good
things about local music, but I could never find
anyone to go to shows with me. I bought Compulation,
ventured out to Go! Room Four a few times, and checked
club schedules compulsively, but I could never
convince any of my fellow students to take the big
leap into the unknown.

Over the summer, I went back home to Charlotte. I
ended up staying there all semester. Charlotte's got a
pretty big high school scene, and I started going back
to those shows. If I liked a band, I'd see them again
(I didn't have any friends in Charlotte), until I
stumbled upon the re-opened Milestone. And THAT, my
friends, felt like home.

Now I'm here in Chapel Hill again. Ross sent me a link
to the discussion on why undergraduates aren't hitting
the shows like they used to. A lot of those reasons
are right on the money, but I'd like to mention
another.

The scene here can sometimes present itself
(unconsciously, I think) as a little more
unapproachable than it actually is. I've got the
Compulation CD here in my hand. One is tempted to
think that it only represents one side of the scene,
but that would reflect a false division of the scene
into sides. Maybe some of the more pop-rocky bands
aren't indie in 80s sense of the word, but if they're
independent and local, I try to give them a chance.

I guess what I'm saying is that I think there's a big
potential audience on campus for Nathan Asher,
International Orange, Roman Candle, etc. And if
students start going out to those shows, attendance
will rise across the board.

So that's the view from campus. Admittedly, I haven't
been around too long and definitely don't know all the
ins and outs of the scene, but you know I'll be
rocknrollin' a few nights a week.