ch-scene - RE: Ch-scene Digest, Vol 14, Issue 20

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "Allen, Richard" <RAllen AT WWNORTON.com>
  • To: <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: Ch-scene Digest, Vol 14, Issue 20
  • Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 13:26:09 -0500

This may be a good time to raise some questions I have wanted to ask from
afar:

First, is there overall lower show attendance in CH?

Second, if there is, is a demographic issue to blame?

More specifically, do undergrads go to a lot fewer shows these days?

I know they've never been a consistent show-going audience, because they're
under 21 and their tastes change like the wind, but when I was in school, you
could expect a big (non-XYC-staff) undergrad crowd at the Cradle for a) the
Archers and similarly popular local indie rock bands and b) all those
Southern-jangle-rock bands that sprang from the spirit of the Connells/REM.
The common thread between these groups was that they were quasi-local and
could give you the feeling of being part of something cool that people who
lived further away wouldn't get to experience.

Now it seems like tastes have fragmented (rock is not the default music for
college kids), the major media machine has penetrated even further into the
indie world (meaning that college-kid-friendly indie rock bands often get
major contracts and tour buses very quickly, leaving less room for genuinely
local rock in kids' brains??), and then of course you have the iPod/DVD
bubble which allows you to more effectively pretend you're at a show without
the inconvenience of leaving your dorm room.

Is there any evidence for my theories, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

(I have theories about older rock fans, too, which may follow if anyone's
interested.)

RA