ch-scene - Re: Ch-scene Digest, Vol 14, Issue 20

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "Greg" <blumenth AT yahoo.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Ch-scene Digest, Vol 14, Issue 20
  • Date: 22 Dec 2004 06:53:40 -0800

OK, time for another vastly different and quite possibly irrelevant
viewpoint...

I do the singer-songwriter bit in Chapel Hill/Carrboro, though I mainly
spend my time watching others play and sing much better than I do. That
doesn't bother me. The reason why is because I do not take the music
portion of my life particularly seriously.

Back to the main question, "Where have all the trust-fund kids gone?"
My answer is, "Who gives a f*ck!" They don't drink, or at least not
legally, so they aren't a significant source of financial support to
the venue infrastructure. They don't buy your CDs any more, because a
friend already ripped the music off your website and gave it to them
for Christmas. I'd much rather have an audience of 20 30-somethings who
know how to tip a bartender than 50 undergrads spending most of their
time puking in the bathroom any day.
Just my opinion, worth exatly what you paid for it.