ch-scene - Re: a cool way for independents to distribute iTunes-like

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Kevin Van Sant <kvansant AT pobox.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: a cool way for independents to distribute iTunes-like
  • Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 18:56:01 GMT

On 1 Dec 2004 08:01:57 -0800, barckhoff AT yahoo.com (Mary Anne
Barckhoff) wrote in message
<20041201160154.8078.qmail AT web41511.mail.yahoo.com> :

>Very cool! Thanks for sharing this -- this looks like a great resource!
>Your site looks great, by the way.
>
>For those who are less web-savvy, if you distribute CD's through CDBaby.com,
>it is also possible to have CDBaby make your songs available thru
>twenty-some digital distribution sites, including iTunes, Rhapsody, Music
>Match and Napster. But, maybe everyone knew that already...

I didn't know that about CD Baby. Looking into it on their website
shows that all those major services pay out on average $.65 per song
or $6.50 per album. CD baby then takes 9% and you get the rest.
That's reasonably fair, and just as it's good to get your CDs in the
big stores, it also can't hurt to have them in the catalog's of the
major download stores. However I think that probably most independent
musicians probably don't turn a lot of sales through major outlets and
do better from their own websites or of course at gigs. That's what
I like about the program I installed into my site, it's just one more
thing I can do myself. the current paypal fee system is 2.9% of the
transaction plus a per transaction fee of $.30. If you sell only one
song for 99c then you only get 66c. But if you sell a handful of
tracks or a whole album, say $10 worth then you get $9.40 of it. Much
better take than going through CD Baby.

Just more FYI....

Kevin Van Sant
jazz guitar

http://www.kevinvansant.com
to buy my CDs, hear sound clips, see videos, and get more info.

Visit my new Instant Download Mp3 Store at:
http://www.onestopjazz.com/mp3-store.html

Alternate site for gig tape soundclips
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/kevinvansant_music.htm