ch-scene - a cool way for independents to distribute iTunes-like

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Kevin Van Sant <kvansant AT pobox.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: a cool way for independents to distribute iTunes-like
  • Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 15:13:59 GMT

After looking around for a way to enable downloadable music sales from
my website I came across this great Php program which can be installed
into a website to facilitate Mp3 Instant Download purchasing.

I had been thinking about trying to set this up for a while,
in part because I know that services like iTunes and emusic are
becoming increasingly popular and many people, myself included,
actually prefer the downloadable Mp3s to buying an actual CD. I
think that the instant gratification of a download also encourages
impulse buying more so than filling out an order knowing you have to
wait a few days or more to get the music.

For now I have put up only my actual CD's and they are available for
instant download as a whole album or only the tracks you want (just
like the other services) at $.99/track or a max of $10 per album. But
at some point I'll probably add some live tracks and alt takes not on
the CDs. If I had an instructional book the that could be handled
this way too. It's really a well conceived and written program.

I invite you to check it out at:
http://www.onestopjazz.com/mp3-store.html

I post this in part to promote my local jazz music to the group, (I'm
a long time CH, now Durham musician) but also to hip you all to this
program which I think is very cool for independent musicians.
Personally, I'm excited about it being this possible, this is the
future of music distribution IMO, and also I think that more
independents would be well served going this route.
Kevin Van Sant
jazz guitar

http://www.kevinvansant.com
to buy my CDs, hear sound clips, see videos, and get more info.

Visit my new Instant Download Mp3 Store at:
http://www.onestopjazz.com/mp3-store.html

Alternate site for gig tape soundclips
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/kevinvansant_music.htm