ch-scene - plumbers hate ketchup

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Michael Warren <p_michael_warren AT yahoo.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: plumbers hate ketchup
  • Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 12:27:18 -0800 (PST)

It would be great if everyone cast their vote
for the most qualified and experienced candidate
based on intense research into the true record.
It doesn't really work that way. In the voting
booth voters can exercise their prejudices at will,
and they do. Their vote may be based on whether
the candidate is handsome, ugly, male, female,
black, white, Hispanic, old, young, straight, gay,
Democrat, Republican, fat, skinny, rich, poor,
southern, "nawthern", or whether he or she can
tell a good joke. In local races people vote for
whoever goes to their church or lives in the same
neighborhhood even if they don't know them. They
will vote for the guy from their hometown or state
because " he's one of us". They will vote for their
brother-in-law even though they know he's an idiot,
but he's still family. The beauty of it all is that in
todays politically correct world your vote is one thing
you don't have to justify to anyone. It's not a perfect
system, but it's still the best in the world.
On the subject of Arnold Schwarzenegger, I'm sure
some Californians voted for him because he's a movie
star. But there were probably others who saw a guy
who started with nothing and became wealthy and
famous through dogged determination. In other words,
he's smart. And like Ronald Reagan, Sonny Bono, and
other entertainers - turned - politicians, he said what
enough people wanted to hear. After all, acting or singing
is just a job. Who would we rather have in the White House,
the Congress, or the Governor's mansion? All lawyers?
mw