ch-scene - Re: Arcade Fire in NYTimes

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Rawls <jcmidrange AT yahoo.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Arcade Fire in NYTimes
  • Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 13:11:34 -0700 (PDT)

> From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
> "All right," said Win Butler, sizing up the crowd
> late last Wednesday
> night at the Mercury Lounge. "We're the flavor of
> the month. Let's go."

Their shows are indeed fun, sort of like early '90's
Gravity Records and a cuddlier version of dirtbags I
saw at Dick St circa '95 (why didn't I think of that
for the Hatchet review?)

So they really went in that Russian and Turkish
Baths place? I've walked by it many times and assumed
it was a male massage parlor...if it was in Greensboro
that's what it would be (the Gate City really does
deprave a person I guess), but a thumbs up to Merge
and the Mercury Lounge for a fun show, and to Bruce
Springsteen who played a ridiculously, yet awesomely
late night arena show at the Meadowlands and to the
cab driver that got me back downtown for the Merge
show with godspeed, to the Yonah Schimmel Knish
Bakery, and Wes the current Rosebuds drummer who came
through and kept alive the tradition of Rosebud
drummers going apeshit in the big city...and the
Knitting Factory and their gorilla thug bouncers still
suck.

Rawls