ch-scene - Arcade Fire in NYTimes

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Arcade Fire in NYTimes
  • Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 09:05:47 -0400

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/18/arts/music/18band.html

----------------------------

"All right," said Win Butler, sizing up the crowd late last Wednesday night at the Mercury Lounge. "We're the flavor of the month. Let's go."

And they went. A single guitar chord oozed through the speakers, and four of Mr. Butler's band mates joined him at the front of the stage, singing a wordless, full-throated overture while the drummer behind them kept time. Then the crashing subsided and Mr. Butler started to sing, his voice wild and shaky with half-swallowed terror. "Somethin' filled up my heart with nothin', someone told me not to cry," he began, with a violin line swelling and deflating behind him. And a crowd full of ecstatic fans and converts braced itself for the next crash.

Hundreds and hundreds of indie-rock bands descended on New York City last week for the CMJ Music Marathon, an alt-rock expo that annexes Manhattan's nightclubs once a year. But none of them generated more excitement than this one: a brilliant, slanted Montreal-based septet called the Arcade Fire.

Don't give me no shit about having to register to read the rest -- it's free, and y'all should be reading the Times occasionally anyway. After you're done reading about Arcade Fire, get even *more* creeped out about George W Bush here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/17/magazine/17BUSH.html

xo

Ross