ch-scene - Stuff to do, week of October 6, 2004

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Stuff to do, week of October 6, 2004
  • Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 17:29:43 -0400

So much rock circulating during the month of October that I can't manage to assemble more than 4-5 days at a time. Oh yeah, speaking of: there's a house show Friday night with des_ark and bellafea. More info here: http://www.frequenc.net/happenings.htm

Otherwise:

Wednesday, October 6
Larval [http://www.larval.net], Glissade
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

The Nightlight website says only:

"Larval have released five records, two on Knitting Factory, one each
on Tzadik and Avant (the labels John Zorn runs in New York) and most
recently one on Cuneiform. Pitchfork media refers to these guys as
"tortoise's grumpy uncle." Godspeed are fans. You will be too."

Wednesday, October 6
Jule Brown [http://www.unc.edu/~holland3/jbrown.htm], Michael Holland
[http://www.bigjohnsrecords.com], Trent Dabbs
[http://www.trentdabbs.com/]
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Jule Brown is the usedta-be-side-project of Jennyanykind's Mark
Holland; once Jennyanykind became more off-again than on-again, Jule
Brown took over the primary spot. The sound may be a little more
country-blues-drone than Jennyanykind, although the last Jennyanykind
album, "Peas and Collards," featured several songs that were
originally meant for the never-released Jule Brown album "The Town,
The Clowns, and the Sound of Jule Brown."

Michael is Mark's brother and longtime partner-in-crime in
Jennyanykind; his last release, a solo album called "Bootlegger's
Dreams," was an odd spacey Dylan-meets-folk-meets-psych number. Make
him play "Chandelier" and you'll know what I'm talking about.

Thursday, October 7 - Saturday, October 9
Sparklefest [http://www.sparklefest.com]
Martin Street Music Hall, Raleigh

Sparklefest is an annual 3-day celebration of the somewhat-esoteric
world of classic-pop or power-pop or whatever you might call a
movement for which Alex Chilton is some kind of god, and which still
believes that it's not pop unless it involves guitars that jangle a
bit. Or something like that. They're actually not nearly that
hidebound over at Sparklefest Central; they've got roots-rock bands on
this year's lineup, and just about anything else they felt like. POP
is still the code-word, though.

Speaking of lineups, here's a basic outline (no guarantees of
accuracy, mind you):

Thursday:
The Never, The Bleeding Hearts, Sleepsound, The Pink Slips, Shalini,
Adam McIntyre&The Pinks, The Rachel Nevadas, Poor Valentino, and Jane
Francis

Friday:
Kick The Future, International Orange, Terry Anderson &The Olympic
Ass-Kickin' Team, The Grip Weeds, Let's Get Mikey, The Saving Graces,
Velvet, The Van Deleckies, and Tim Lee

Saturday:
The Chris Stamey Experience, The Shazam, Walter Clevenger& The Dairy
Kings, Cliff Hillis, Stratocruiser, The Breaks, Eugene Edwards,
Jeremy, Dipsomaniacs,and The Hanks

Thursday, October 7
IQU [http://www.iquiqu.com/], Zykos [http://www.zykosmusic.com/], The
Tape Is Now The Music
The Werehouse, Winston-Salem

Thursday, October 7
Dead Moon [http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Venue/7980/], Chrome
Plated Apostles [http://www.demonbeach.com]
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Dead Moon are, in some sense, the greatest Rockband working today.
Yes, Fred & Toody are the coolest married 50-something rocker couple
ever, and yes, they've been playing with Andrew for umpty-dozen years,
and yes, they record & release their own stuff & master the vinyl on
the lathe that cut the Kingsmen's Louie Louie, and yes, it generally
sounds like shit as a result.

But those aren't really the reasons why they're they greatest Rockband
working today; those are just back-story, or icing, or lures to get
you intrigued. They're the greatest Rockband working today because
they've been rocking for 35 fucking years, more or less, and they've
never gotten much past the shitty-van level, and yet when you see them
up onstage they so obviously love & live for those few precious
moments every day when they get to play music together, and that love
flows right through the crazed three-chord rock and right through
Fred's cracked warbly voice & goddamn if you don't find yourself
choking back tears & singing along regardless of how well you know the
words.

Friday, October 8
Section Eight [http://www.sectioneightmusic.com/], Maple Stave
[http://www.maplestave.com], Calabi Yau [http://www.calabiyau.com/]
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

The New Face of Durham Rock, or something. Maple Stave & Section 8
both appear on the new Durham Rocks! compilation; the Stave are
guitarry instrumental rock, while Section 8 want to beat you to death
with the severed leg of a RealDoll.

Calabi Yau I dunno, but I'm guessing that calabiyau.com isn't theirs, unless they're a guy named Joseph from the Netherlands.

Friday, October 8
IQU [http://www.iquiqu.com/], Eyes to Space, Pro-L
[http://futurock.com/proL.php]
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Friday, October 8
Kudzu Wish [http://www.kudzuwish.com/], Cinemechanica
[http://www.cinemechanica.com/], All Astronauts
[http://www.allastronauts.com/], Science of Yabra
[http://www.scienceofyabra.com/]
Ace's Basement, Greensboro

If you find yourself anywhere near Greensboro, this is the Indie-ROCK
show of the week; Kudzu wish are like a really good emo band whose
whiny singer has been beat up & left for dead at a rest-stop by Lemmy.
Cinemechanica are from Athens & the ex-Greensboroians who live there
now say verygood things about them. All Astronauts are from
Winston-Salem & they rock, mightily.

Friday, October 8
Schooner [http://www.schoonermusic.com], Secret Robot Meeting, Tracy
Shedd [http://www.tracyshedd.com/]
Kings, Raleigh

Saturday, October 9
Ivan Howard [http://www.therosebuds.com], Ticonderoga
[http://www.ticonderobics.com/]
Bickett Gallery, Raleigh

Ivan Howard is 1/3rd (the leaping/guitar-playing third) of the
Rosebuds; I assume this will involve him & an acoustic guitar, though
one never knows. Ticonderoga are his favorite band of 2004, or so he
has repeatedly told me.

Saturday, October 9
Shallow Be Thy Name
[http://www.screwmusicforever.com/music/artists/shallow/index.html],
Cheers To No Tomorrow, My Little Phony
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Shallow Be Thy Name have just spent 9 months playing as a
Clarque/Caroline duo, and they are pretty phenomenally in-sync as
such. Lately they've also debuted their new live-rockband lineup,
which I haven't seen but which includes the mighty Lee Waters (Lud,
Work Clothes, Panzer, Cobra Khan) and thus can do no wrong.

Cheers to No Tomorrow is Fin Fang Foom's Eddie Sanchez's
side-project.

My Little Phony are a boy who writes & plays all the music & a girl
who writes & sings all the words. The other day I was listening to
their recent full-length & I thought to myself that I'd be curious to
see how it would work with more people involved.

Saturday, October 9
Dom Casual, Weeping Figs
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Dom Casual have added a few new songs to their repertoire since I saw
them last year, including a gospel number that was delivered to singer
Jamie McLendon by the ghost of a 20th-century musical giant. Plus
there's more Andy Shull on trumpet, and they're just generally about
as tight as I've ever seen them.

Saturday, October 9
All Astronauts [http://www.allastronauts.com/], Phon, TV Knife
Kings, Raleigh

Sunday, October 10
Kenny Roby, The Cartridge Family [http://www.cartridge-family.com/],
Olympic Ass Kicking Team [http://www.terryandersonrocks.com/], The
Greatest Hits
Kings, Raleigh

This is a "Put W back in Crawford" rally/fundraiser/whatever. Starts
at 3:00 p.m. All the aforementioned bands, plus speakers, comedy, DJs,
videos, lord-knows-whatelse.

Sunday, October 10
Yo La Tengo [http://www.yolatengo.com/]
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

That's "Yo La Tengo and Friends," and it's a fundraiser for Erskine
Bowles. Not a opener->headliner type of evening, it's instead a sort
of variety-show/musical revue/whatever thing, with some
comedy/rabble-rousing & [presumably] plenty of rock as well. Although
I'd be just as happy with that other thing that Yo La Tengo do besides
"rock" - the semi-acoustic thing that involves a lot of interaction
with the audience & a long series of obscure covers that they'll
challenge you to name the sources of. Duke Coffeehouse, 1994, was the
last time I saw them do that & it still looms in my memory as one of
the finer nights of my young life.

Then again, yesterday I was listening to their cover of the Seeds'
"Can't Seem to Make You Mine," and the spazzmo electric guitarplaying
on that fucking song is about as close to genius as anybody's ever
gonna get.

Sunday, October 10
Marah [http://www.marah-usa.com/]
Pour House, Raleigh

The Pour House used to be the Grove, way back in the 90s when I lived
in Raleigh. It was a weird room, but kinda fun -- I liked the tallness
and the odd 2nd level with its chainlink-enclosed hole in the floor
over the stage. Dunno if it's still laid out that way, but I'm told
they've got decent beer on tap now.

And tonight they've got Marah, the hottest Springsteen-influenced
savant-brothers Rock Band from Philly since I dunno when. Their new
album, "20000 Streets Under the Sky," is either some kind of demented
hyper-poetic work of non-ironic troubadour-rock brilliance, or it's a
tedious overblown pretentious piece of Springsteen wannabeism, or it's
both. Either way, I'm told they're good live. And honestly, as long as
I remember not to pay too much attention to the words, I can't
complain about any album that "shimmy-shimmy-coco-pop!"s so
shamelessly & enthusiastically.

--------> http://www.trianglerock.com <--------