ch-scene - Screen, Guns III - Morman Edition

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Duncan Murrell <dvmurrell AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Screen, Guns III - Morman Edition
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 11:04:57 -0400

So after all that kvetching and discussion and name-calling of last week, Morman decides Ruby S. hasn't had enough, and so he throws down on her again in his blog today ( www.monkeytime.org), which at least proves he has some faith in the "semaphore-signs-on-mountaintops" method. What's surprising is that he's still criticizing her "because she didn't seem to know that the gun shop supported the drive-in, rather than the other way around." Not only does the Inc. magazine article he links specifically _not_ say that about the relationship between the gun shop and the drive-in, but it's pretty clear from other articles already posted to this group, as well as from the Save Our Starlite website itself, that the drive-in was Mr. Groves' main source of income, and that it carried the business during the months he could operate it full time (most of the year). If one business supports the whole business 9 months of the year, and another one carries the business for three months, which is supporting which? I've been self-employed for two years, and I do a variety of things (different "businesses", you might say) to make a living. All of them support each other, and I'd be in trouble if any one of them failed, whether it's the business that earns me 60% of my income, or the business that earns me 20%. This meme that that the "gun shop supported the drive-in," coupled with a refusal to acknowledge that the drive-in also supported the gun shop, is disingenuous at best.

(I suppose some folks think that a couple of display cases of handguns sitting in the middle of a concrete wasteland in a relatively isolated part of town is a real profit generator, especially with business hours of 5-10 p.m. only. Come on.)