ch-scene - New crackly radio station

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Jeffrey Herrick <herrickjeffrey AT yahoo.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: New crackly radio station
  • Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 11:38:40 -0700 (PDT)

FYI.. The Weaver Street/Carrboro/? kids are getting
their low-power FM station going. They transmit from
a light pole at scroggs (sp?) elementary at 103.5FM.
Right now there are broadcasting a 20 min loop that
can be heard sorta around CH/Carrboro. They are
interested in Volunteers and donations now. Saw Ruby
talking to them the other day.. should be
interesting..

http://www.communityradio.coop/

Speaking of recpetion.. has anyone heard about this
Nextell or some big company offering wireless
interenet throughout the triangle? I guess they are
using cell towers or something. I heard you pay
50bucks for the reciever (battery powered) and 50
bucks a month.. Any thoughts? as a xdu geek.... I
dream that you could put this in your car and stream
xdu. Probably doesn't work that well and Grady would
probably say it'll be much more efficient if/when xdu
broadcasts a digital signal.. which is suppose to work
better. This assumes anyone listens to radio when
that day comes.

See you at Durham musuc fest.. is the Durham Armory
serving beverages or is it BYOB or nothing..?

jefF