ch-scene - Re: New crackly radio station

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "Hoopla" <dmccalldds AT gmail.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: New crackly radio station
  • Date: 27 Aug 2004 14:56:32 -0700

I heard that Nextel already has rolled out WiFi in the Raleigh area
(don't know if CH/Cboro is included). After buying their card, it is
$80/mo from what I heard. Speeds are similar to those we have with
current Road Runner. A friend of mine's real estate agent has it and
loves it.

Hey, this thing can turn broadcast radio on its head as we know it, and
I won't be sobbing any tears. The ability to listen to Rochester's WBER
riding around in the car is simply a delicious prospect. It is already
worth it to tape hours of their programming and listen to it in the
car.

Unfortunately some group out their will cry that their rights are being
violated. The last big blow to internet radio was from the commercial
voice actors who wha-wha'd that their commercial was going out to not
just millions of listeners, but billions of listeners. Their
contracts/royalties are based on potential # of listeners.

Also on the unfortunate side, is that I haven't seen ANY effort by any
president or candidate to keep broadcast radio companies from screwing
up a potentially fun free market. No matter who wins this election,
ClearChannel's lawyers and others will try to keep us from listening to
good internet radio in our cars.