ch-scene - Stuff to do, Week of August 20, 2004

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Stuff to do, Week of August 20, 2004
  • Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 17:48:40 -0400

Like you don't already have yr weekend planned:

Friday, August 20 - Sunday, August 22
Durham Music Festival [http://www.durhammusicfestival.org]
various downtown venues, Durham

Huge music showcase of local & out-of-towners in downtown Durham.
Friday & Saturday are the primary nights, with shows running
more-or-less concurrently at the Armory, a storefront on Morris St,
the Durham Arts Initiative/Mr. Shoe, and Joe & Jo's, from 7:00 p.m.
til 2:00 a.m. Friday & 3:00 p.m. til whenever Saturday. Sunday night
there's apparently a post-show show with Lud at Joe & Jo's.

Bands to look out for (you'll have to check out the
[http://www.durhammusicfestival.org] schedule on the website for full
granularity) include but are not limited to, IMHO, Chris Stamey,
Mountain Goats, El Guapo, ENON, Maple Stave, Schooner/Sames, Butchies,
Jett Rink, Blackstrap, Bringerer, Bellafea, Bats & Mice, des_ark,
Cheers to no Tomorrow, Rosebuds, Jaguaro, Dom Casual, Section Eight,
Holy Roman Empire, Transportation, Wigg Report, Work Clothes, & Lud.

Friday, August 20 - Sunday, August 22
Sleazefest [http://www.sleazefest.com]
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Check out the [http://www.sleazefest.com] Sleazefest website for
lineups & start times. As is usually the case, I'm unsure whether the
Cave is a separate ticket from Sleazefest. Shouldn't be too hard to
figure out.

Friday, August 20 - Sunday, August 22
Sleazefest [http://www.sleazefest.com]
Local 506, Chapel Hill

11th annual? Is that how long it has been happening? Through at least
3 different sets of Local 506 owners, Sleazefest has been the one
constant at 506 West Franklin, every August since time began, more or
less. Rockabilly, garage-rock, that weird greaser/horror/comix rock,
twang, psychobilly, high-energy Detroit madness, etc, etc. Depending
on yr vantage point & perspective, there may also be grit, dirt,
slime, sweat, beer/liquor, unidentifiable foodlike substances, skin
&/or just about anything else rubbed up against you. I can't even
handle a sold-out crowd at the nonsmoking Cat's Cradle, so I avoid
twice that many people packed into half the space (or so it seems)
like the plague. Them what goes regularly, however, claim there's no
greater love than Sleazefest love, and who am I to dispute that?

Friday, August 20
Radio Silence, Matt Wood, The Mattoid
[http://www.antifolk.net/artists/themattoid/]
Bickett Gallery, Raleigh

I know nothing about any of these groups, but I wanted to give props
to Bickett Gallery for running its "art bar" nightly til 2:00 a.m.,
which means there's a casual laid-back smokefree space where you can
drink and look at good art (and/or great art, in the case of the
current show) in a gallery/moderne lounge environment. It may be
slightly noisier &/or more packed on nights with bands, such as
tonight, but that's only a plus.

Friday, August 20
David Shultz [http://www.purevolume.com/davidshultz], Buckthorne
Superstar [http://www.purevolume.com/buckthornesuperstar], Mincer
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Saturday, August 21
Robert Deeble [http://www.pastemusic.com/deeble/default.html], Lisa
Cerbone [http://www.lisacerbone.com/], Shallow Be Thy Name
[http://www.screwmusicforever.com/music/artists/shallow/index.html]
Bickett Gallery, Raleigh

Saturday, August 21
Audubon Park [http://audubonpark.blogspot.com], Mowing Lawns
[http://www.dyss.net/mlawns.html], Polynya
[http://home.mindspring.com/~polynya/index.html]
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Audubon Park are well on their way to becoming the preeminent
indie-rock soundfuckers of their [measured in indie-rock years]
generation; nobody currently working these mean streets manages to
shoehorn more unstoppable hooks into such a noisy messed-up glorious
musical package.

Mowing Lawns are some form of avant-noise-acoustic-folk
something-or-other, and everyone who has seen them & is willing to
talk about it says great things. That's only like 3 people so far, but
that's about 2 more than usually rave to me about most bands, so . .
.

Tuesday, August 24
Los Diablos [http://www.coffeestainmusic.com/]
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Wednesday, August 25
Erie Choir, The Ants, Billy Sugarfix
[http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/billysugarfix.htm], America, Dear
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Erie Choir's 2nd EP, "Bad Tsars is a Drag," is the local CD of the
year. I'm saying this with 4+ months left to go in the year, yet I'm
fairly confident of its truth, unless Eric manages to record & release
another before New Year's. It's kinda hard to find in local stores, so
the chance to get a copy is reason enough to attend. You'll also get
to see him & his motley assortment of Audubon Park members & other
ringers backing him, plus 3 other bands, including the inimitable
Billy Sugarfix, who was one-man-banding it around this town when most
of the other one-man-bands in town were still holding down
rhythm-section duties in somebody else's band.

Thursday, August 26
Kolyma
Bickett Gallery, Raleigh

Russ DeSena, the hardest working man in Raleigh, sent this:

Kolyma is a new rock band and we debut @ Bickett Gallery on August 26,
thursday, music @ 10:30. We are Bob Pence (Razor Wire Safety Net,
Cold Sides, Defenestrator) on guitar, sax, and vocals, Jennifer Thomas
(Halifax, Rat Face, Southbound) on vocals and percusion, Mike Isenberg
(Olympous Mons, Southbound, Strange) on drums, and Russ De Sena
(Chickens, Halifax, Night Moose) on bass and vocals. We've told
people we sound like the Germs meets James Blood Ulmer, James Brown
crossed with the Melvins, and maybe even Celtic Frost meets Captain
Beefheart. It probably helps a little if you've seen our other bands.
Mike wrote most of the music, by the way. We are heavy, but not in
that lumbering stupid way. We strive for excellence.

Thursday, August 26
The Know, Spader, Siberian
Kings, Raleigh

--------> http://www.trianglerock.com <--------

  • Stuff to do, Week of August 20, 2004, grady, 08/20/2004