ch-scene - RE: FCC - Fight Clear Channel (Mon June 7, 5:30pm)

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: <info AT durhamloop.org>
  • To: "'RTP-area local music and culture'" <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: FCC - Fight Clear Channel (Mon June 7, 5:30pm)
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 21:08:08 -0400

James Helper wrote:
>Point of clarity. Clerchannel didn't bring the
>proposal. The city and the development team are
>bringing the proposal. Clearchannel is on the
>development team as manager/operator.

In order to reflect the public "process" that brought this proposal to where
we are now, the city and development team are indeed framing the role of
Clear Channel like what you wrote above.

However I am told (by insiders) that Clear Channel (then SFX) originally
approached the City of Durham about five years ago and said that they were
going to put a 4000 seat theater in Durham or Greensboro. "Do you want it,
Durham?" So in this sense, Clear Channel really did bring the proposal.

It is interesting to note that there were two competing development teams
that bid for the project. The manager/operator in BOTH proposals was . . .
Clear Channel. So they were competing against themselves!

Isn't this the definition of a MONOPOLY?

James Helper wrote:
>And I'll point out that while we want to urge the
>council to vote NOT to extend this proposal due to its
>lack of transparency in the bidding process, etc, we
>aren't saying no to an entertainment district or to
>most of their proposal. In fact, a lot of the
>proposal looked quite good outside of the affiliation
>with Clearchannel.

Don't worry, the good stuff besides the theater will happen anyway! :)

You have mentioned two of the big problems with this proposal:
1. Clear Channel
2. lack of transparency

A third major problem is:
3. Deferred maintenance

The city is not taking care of its existing buildings (the Carolina Theater,
Arts Council, and Armory). We need to fix and maintain these first, before
even talking about building something new.

***

Thanks to everyone who showed up Tuesday night! Please come out next Monday
(June 7).

5:30 FCC - F*** Clear Channel, Blue Coffee Downtown (Corcoran & Parrish St)
7:00 City Council vote

City Council WILL listen!

Caleb