ch-scene - Re: FCC - Fight Clear Channel (Mon June 7, 5:30pm)

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: James Hepler <jameshepler AT yahoo.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: FCC - Fight Clear Channel (Mon June 7, 5:30pm)
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 14:17:13 -0700 (PDT)

--- christine AT indiciti.com wrote:
> FCC - Fight Clear Channel
>
> Show your support for independent musicians,
> artists, producers, promoters,
> stage hands, college radio and those who believe in
> the First Amendment.
> Clear Channel has brought a proposal to the city of
> Durham for a 4,000 seat
> Event Center. This center would be owned by the city
> and managed by Clear
> Channel.

Point of clarity. Clerchannel didn't bring the
proposal. The city and the development team are
bringing the proposal. Clearchannel is on the
development team as manager/operator.

> City Council is meeting on Monday, June 7, at City
> Hall in Downtown Durham
> to grant the development group a four-month
> extension on the project. Please
> help us get the message across to City Council that
> we don't want this
> company in our community.
>
> Please come to Blue Coffee Company Downtown (202
> Corcoran Street - corner of
> Parrish St) at 5:30 pm on Monday, June 7. There will
> be a gathering and
> musical performances by:
>
> Sara Bell (shark quest, regina hexaphone)
> Eric Roehrig (erie choir, sorry about dresden)
> Dave Bjorkback (torch marauder)
> Zeno Gill (the sames)
>
> and perhaps others
>

> After the music, we'll head over to City Hall to
> voice our opposition to
> this project and Clear Channel's involvement. If you
> want to speak in front
> of City Council, you will have an opportunity to
> sign up. Otherwise, please
> just come to the Council meeting and show your
> support. Your voice and
> presence WILL make a difference.

And I'll point out that while we want to urge the
council to vote NOT to extend this proposal due to its
lack of transparency in the bidding process, etc, we
aren't saying no to an entertainment district or to
most of their proposal. In fact, a lot of the
proposal looked quite good outside of the affiliation
with Clearchannel.

We just need for the city to be willing to take a step
back and rethink how they want to go about this. And
the way we do that is to put a halt to this Monday
night. So come out.

Hep