ch-scene - Cradle show tonight - 5/13

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "5er (martin)" <mdhall005 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: CH-SCENE <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Cradle show tonight - 5/13
  • Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 08:27:11 -0700 (PDT)

hi everyone,

just wanted to send out a little reminder about a show happening tonight
(5/13)
at the Cat's Cradle in beautiful downtown Carrboro - the Paris of the
Piedmont:

Frog Eyes
Kingsbury Manx
Destroyer

should be a good one. The Kingsbury Manx you know, local heroes and all.
And I don't think they have played many shows lately, so its good to welcome
them back on the stage.

Frog Eyes are from Victoria BC and are a site to behold. Spastic rhythms and
caterwauling vocals that tend to leave the audience in some sort of trance.
Frontman
Casey Lander flails about like some sort of possessed professor of Classical
Greek Mythology.

Destroyer is Daniel Bejar from Vancouver BC, and he will be backed on this
occasion
by Frog Eyes. Destroyer's latest CD, "Your Blues", was released by my
employer
Merge Records (full disclosure) and is one of my favorites in a long time.
Of course with the help of his friends in Frog Eyes he manages to deconstruct
the album (which is simple and theatrical using mostly midi-orchestration)
completely, tearing it a part and putting it back together again as some sort
of rock-n-roll-epiphany.

hope to see some of you there.

would it make any difference if i mentioned Bejar's tenuous ties to the New
Pornographers?

god i hope not.

-5er

"A boy wants a car from his dad.
Dad says, first you got to cut that hair.
Boys says, hey dad Jesus had long hair.
Dad says, That's right son, and Jesus walked everywhere."
- David Berman/The Silver Jews