ch-scene - Re: Psycho

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Ruby Sinreich <lists AT lotusmedia.org>
  • To: ch-scene 2 <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>, Cy Rawls <jcmidrange AT yahoo.com>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: Psycho
  • Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 21:11:04 -0500

That's Baity Hill, future site of UNC's new student family housing complex.
Apparently it was more desirable to build a whole new complex than fix the
existing one (whose land is probably more valuable due to it's proximity to
the hospital). Here's a photo of what Cy's talking about:
http://www.orangepolitics.org/archives/000156.html

The scary thing is that this is in the "perimeter area" which UNC is
supposed to carefully manage as a buffer between the neighborhood and the
campus. That clear cut is right next to the last holdout on the street who
runs a daycare at her home. Her clients can hardly get to her house around
the construction vehicles all over the place and her business is suffering
already.

The Baity Hill development is just one of many parts of UNC's massive
Development Plan. They are currently asking the Council for a "major
revision" to the plan, here's more:
http://www.orangepolitics.org/archives/000209.html

And of course lots more about UNC development in general here:
http://www.orangepolitics.org/archives/cat_unc.html

= Ruby