ch-scene - Re: Interesting development for dog & cat advocates

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Bis "sp�ter" <thebackyardbbq AT yahoo.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Interesting development for dog & cat advocates
  • Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 17:47:02 -0800 (PST)

--- "Sue S." <dragonfly_777 AT hotmail.com> wrote:

> We rushed Possum to the vet, who gave us the
> morning-after pills. They
> did protect the dog from pregnancy, but
> unfortunately they could not
> protect her from pyometra, which is a nasty
> infection of the uterus.
> She had to have an emergency hysterectomy a few
> months later.

<snip>

> About a year after that she was diagnosed with
> lymphoma and died soon
> after. I've often wondered if the cancer was
> connected to the
> infection, which went undetected for some time.

A very compelling argument to sterilize (via whatever
safe, effetive means are available) ASAP any animal
not in a well-thought-out breeding program. What's
that?

First what it is not: "Fluffy is so marvelous we had
to have another just like her!" is not a
well-thought-out breeding program. Neither is "we
wanted to witness the miracle of birth."

Responsible breeders are those who can tell you about
known and likely genetic disorders of the animals they
are breeding; they have had the animals they are
breeding tested and x-rayed to determine absence of
said disorders, and cheerfully produce the
certificates and exams as proof; and they have a good
reason for bringing the two animals together--i.e. to
improve the stock, through structure, temperament, and
behaviour.

Truly responsible breeders do their best to keep up
with all the lives they've created; are prepared to
reclaim an animal if the original owners suddenly can
not manage the animal; and if they discover the
presence of a genetic disorder in their line, will
contact you immediately and let you know what to
expect. If you think such people do not exist, and
wish you knew where such dog breeders live--ask me.
It's tougher in some breeds than in others to find
responsible breeders, but they are there.

Despite all the anthropomorphizing, dogs and cats do
*not* need to mate to be happy, whole creatures. Male
dogs do not *need* to feel the urge to roam, or
obsessively mark all over the neighborhood, or
aggressively defend territory to be happy, either.
Truly, these behaviours tend to create more discomfort
in the male dog's life, and such behaviours are less
likely when neutered ASAP. Rex, just hit by a car
after jumping over a fence to get to FiFi in heat;
Rex, attacking another male dog in the neighborhood;
Rex, peeing on your neighbor's roses--if Rex could
talk, and you gave him a choice, I think he'd rather
you do the thing that will let him happily play ball
with you for 10 or 15 years, compared to experiencing
the drive of hormones that may lead him to an early
death. Not to mention another quality
life-lengthening benefit--no testicles means no
testicular cancer.

Females do not have to have "at least one heat" before
they are spayed. Males do not have to "have sex at
least once" before they are neutered. And if you have
a mixed breed, or you want to intentionally mix
breeds, with things like hip dysplasia, a genetic
skeletal disorder that is present in many, many
different breeds, even the notion that "mixed breeds
are healthier" doesn't hold water. Please leave the
breeding to reponsible professionals.

As for the chemical neutering, I have yet to read
(from the dog list) anyone's post where they've direct
experience, so it's still an argument of theory at
this point. More people are clinging to the status
quo, as one might expect. One thing, tho', is that a
little research reveals that for some reason it costs
the same as the surgical procedure (wtf?!?). Another
is that it hasn't been used long enough yet to
determine if it will provide prevention of testicular
cancer. Also, it's not clear if cats have been
approved for it yet, anywhere, and when that will
happen (posted on a dog list, what can you expect? :)
).

If nothing else, at this point perhaps it will find
testing grounds in no-kill shelters, and we will learn
from that?

If it proves to be "all that," hopefully the price
will come down as it becomes a more common practice.

Glad at least a couple people found the new procedure
of interest.

E.