ch-scene - Re: Interesting development for dog & cat advocates

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: dragonfly_777 AT hotmail.com (Sue S.)
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Interesting development for dog & cat advocates
  • Date: 25 Mar 2004 09:29:08 -0800

Jeff Hart wrote:

> very nice development. maybe as vet science progresses, can a morning after
> pill not be far behind?

A morning-after pill is already available for female dogs who have,
umm, strayed.

A few years back, our Australian shepherd Possum busted out of the
house while in heat. My husband tracked down her and her paramour (a
rakish bandanna-wearing Lab named Bandit) by following the sound of
neighbor kids' laughter.

We rushed Possum to the vet, who gave us the morning-after pills. They
did protect the dog from pregnancy, but unfortunately they could not
protect her from pyometra, which is a nasty infection of the uterus.
She had to have an emergency hysterectomy a few months later.

About a year after that she was diagnosed with lymphoma and died soon
after. I've often wondered if the cancer was connected to the
infection, which went undetected for some time.

We learned our lesson: Spay is the way.