ch-scene - Re: Will Chapel-Hill/Carrboro be next?

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Chris Welbon <ctw AT neophi.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Will Chapel-Hill/Carrboro be next?
  • Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 13:09:29 -0500 (EST)

> Message: 41
> Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 15:51:41 -0500
> From: bendy <bendonnelly AT rushpost.com>
> Subject: Re: Will Chapel-Hill/Carrboro be next?
>
> Nathaniel Florin wrote:
> > Pennsylvania's is charmingly simple: "A common-law
> > marriage may be established if a man and woman
> > exchange words that indicate that they intend to be
> > married at the present time."
>
> I believe this is because of PA's Quaker heritage. I've got some friends
> in Pittsburgh who married at the reception hall without anyone
> officiating. They just had to sign the marriage license and have some
> number of witnesses.

Indeed. You can get a Quaker marriage license, and do away with some
legal/religious/patriarchal officiant who has "power vested in them by the
blah blah blah." The number of witnesses need only be two, from what I
recall, and they have to sign the license too. Then you mail it back to
the county you get it from, and--boom!--like it or not, you're married.

(Felt rather like getting an MD or a PhD from the Caribbean, if you ask
me.)

I don't know if this is related to, separate from, or the same as a
common-law marriage as far as Pennsylvania is concerned. Nor, for that
matter, do I recall whether the license specifies man/woman.

But then, there's a lot about the whole experience that I'm blocking out.

Fandango (MD/PhD)