ch-scene - Re: Will Chapel-Hill/Carrboro be next?

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Christiane Voisin <voisc AT ils.unc.edu>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Will Chapel-Hill/Carrboro be next?
  • Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 08:39:39 -0500 (EST)

hey, some of us actually live inside Jesse's fence. but i haven't heard
of any defiance yet.

here is what you already know or suspect:

http://www.marriagewatch.org/states/NC.htm
> North Carolina
>
> Marriage Protection Act (1996)
>
> Marriages between persons of the same gender not valid.
>
> Marriages, whether created by common law, contracted, or performed
outside of North Carolina , between individuals of the same gender are not
valid in North Carolina .

> N.C. Gen. Stat. 51-1.2

and more broadly

http://www.clgs.org/marriage/defining_legal.html
> How is marriage defined in the United States? Currently 37 states have
passed laws which define marriage as limited to a union between one man
and one woman: 33 state legislatures have passed statutes to that effect,
and 4 states (Alaska, Hawaii, Nebraska and Nevada) have, by popular vote,
passed Defense of Marriage Acts (DOMAs) as constitutional amendments; the
Ohio state legislature is currently debating a Defense of Marriage Act.
Thirteen states, therefore, do not currently have laws on their books
which limit marriage to a union between one man and one woman.

(how very comforting that so many states have taken time to consider the
incredibly vital issue of Defending Marriage. but with 13 states remiss,
it's no wonder Bush is worried.)

for fun:
http://www.globeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/TPStory/LAC/20040116/REID16/
"Bush prefers our pretty boy to his pretty boy"

Christiane