ch-scene - Re: Will Chapel-Hill/Carrboro be next?

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "Anne Gomez" <annemgomez AT hotmail.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Will Chapel-Hill/Carrboro be next?
  • Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 14:40:57 -0500

Sorry, NC is not a common law marriage state (last I heard, there were only 4 - one is SC; can't remember the others).

Anne

From: jge AT cs.unc.edu (John Eyles)
To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
Date: 4 Mar 2004 13:45:47 -0500

I was at a party somewhere around here, years ago, when the host
couple got up and said that it's North Carolina common law that
two people can say they want to be married in front of 30 (?)
or more people, who sign to witness it, and they are legally
married. Dunno if this works in lieu of a license or not.

John

FREE pop-up blocking with the new MSN Toolbar – get it now! http://clk.atdmt.com/AVE/go/onm00200415ave/direct/01/