ch-scene - Re: brewery

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady AT ibiblio.org
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: brewery
  • Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 14:06:41 -0500

Well, sometime in the mid-90s, NCSU built a parking deck down at the end of the dead-end street next to the Brewery, and every time I went after the deck opened, it was open at night for free parking for anybody.

But I'm sure there are plenty of folks who enjoyed your anti-Brentwood rant. Tim Flaherty could tell you some horror stories about dealing with them when he ran the Garage, that's for sure. They'd tow his patrons out of his *own* parking lot on a regular basis.

Ross

burton AT email.unc.edu wrote:

i wonder if brentwood towing's rapacious, insidious, avaricious, abusive towing work had a hand in the demise of the brewery. on nights when there was a big show at the brewery they would swarm around with several tow trucks, stealing cars out of unmarked parking lots. i got towed from a Grover show in summer of 94 and swore i would never go back to the brewery. and i never did. i can't be the only one who made that decision. bb

Quoting grady AT ibiblio.org:

Kenny had an invisible for-sale sign on the Brewery off and on for
the past 8 years or so. Dave does a good job in the N&O piece in covering

the basics--Hillsborough Street just isn't really a destination for those of us who aren't NCSU students anymore, certainly not nearly as

much as it was 10 years ago. King's has a liquor license, is a wee
bit larger & can thus draw a slightly wider range of touring acts, and
Kings has gone out of its way to establish non-rock nights where it's open
for drinking and various other activities, which in the midst of the
general live-music slump is fairly necessary.

The Brewery was a great live-music room--I saw some absolutely
amazing shows there, many of which involved Backsliders and/or Six String
Drag, and the amazing pre-fame Whiskeytown shows, where Ryan would change
up the entire set, altering the tempo and mood and arrangement of nearly

every song, every time they played; but also some absurd (and underattended) national acts, none of which I can remember this early
in the AM, as well as the infamous Laso Halo/Lemmons the Shiny Clown
show which involved a baby made of meat that slowly cooked from the inside

out over the course of the evening.

But it's not the sort of place where you'd go to hang out if there wasn't a band playing, and at the moment at least, those kinds of
clubs are having a tougher time staying open, unless they're Cat's Cradle.

Ross

G Neal wrote:

n e 1 no y the brewery closed?