ch-scene - Re: Les Paul over IP

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "Evan Rowe" <evanrowe AT fastmail.fm>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Les Paul over IP
  • Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 11:52:33 -0500

Every time I go into a Guitar Center-type store I can't tell if
A-these are fads, e.g. headless guitars and double-locking tremolo
systems, or
B-I should be paying more attention.
But Cat-5? This seems like a cart-before-horse sort of thing. While I
appreciate the idea of 128 inputs from a broadway stage going to the FOH
desk over two cables, I can't see an advantage yet of sending a guitar
signal 15 feet to a d/a converter in front of an amp. And who wants to
try to maintain digital stompboxes on a tiny, smoky, beer stained stage?
That said, I played a Line 6 amp a long while back, and at low volumes it
was pretty fun. But it kind of takes the "magic" factor of tubes' quirks
away. Of course it also takes away their heat, and their replacement,
and the biasing, and....
And Bose should probably stick to headphones and home theater. The
animation on that link shows exactly what the line array (which is what I
assume they're getting at with the tall cylinders) is supposed to
avoid--a ton of phase interference and comb filtering.
All that said, there's some situations where a guitar signal sync'd to a
midi clock might be useful. Has anyone done anything like that? Just
wondering.
Thanks for the article

=Evan