ch-scene - Re: Les Paul over IP

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Chris Rossi <rossi AT webslingerZ.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Les Paul over IP
  • Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 11:33:34 -0500

I think it would mainly be of use in large complicated live settings
where it might simplify signal routing. Especially for the folks that
are splitting signals and sending them to six different amps seperated
by hundreds of feet, etc.... It would be appropriate for folks who
already plug into a rack full of digital processors, as well. If and
when somebody starts making new digital processors that use 'magic'.

The CEO doesn't seem to be the most rational or shrewd business person,
though, so his ability to sell the rest of the industry on his new
technology is highly questionable. If he's targeting the average
guitarist who plugs into a tube amp with a pedal or two, he should find
very little interest. There's no incentive for a normal/average
guitarist to adopt. Maybe really big studios would use it as a router
to be able to try out a bunch of different amps in quick succession to
find that "tone", but the normal to small studios, again, are going to
have little incentive to adopt.

The fact that the CEO seems to think this will improve the sound quality
already seems misguided. Maybe it really does. But given what we know
about digital technology to date, there's little to no reason to believe
that it would. If it's going to be used, I think, it will be useful to
people as a means of routing a signal over long distances and through
complicated setups. No cable capacitances to deal with, get rid EMI,
and get rid of impedance problems when running long Hi-Z lines. But you
could also do most of that with a pair of passive DIs strung back to back.

rossi