ch-scene - Re: Long Box Activism of the 80's

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Bill K <billk AT nospam.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Long Box Activism of the 80's
  • Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2003 06:55:45 GMT

> Someone told me they recently saw those old CD boxes again in the
> stores. Like in Best Buy or something.

They occasionally have them in their "bargain" section. I've seen them
at Sam's Club, too - they'll sometimes stuff CD's in generic cardboard
longboxes so that they can stuff a whole ton of them in a bin up front.

And they always seem to pop up around Christmas when the stores open up
their box of unsold Christmas CD's from the previous year. There's a
store near me that I swear has put out the same longbox disc (I think
it's Amy Grant or someone along those lines) every year for the last six
years.

> I once tried to cover a wall in room with them, but stopped
> halfway through.

I think I just jammed mine in my closet, figuring they might have some
"value". Hmm, I bet they're still at my parents' house. Might be time
to test that "value" theory.

Longbox memories: I always loved it when they shrinkwrapped the CD
inside the longbox, which itself was shrinkwrapped. God, I love
shrinkwrap.

-BK