cc-uk - [Cc-uk] CC-UK (CC-Scotland, CC-EW, CC-N.Ireland) etc

  • From: Prodromos Tsiavos <prodromos.tsiavos AT socio-legal-studies.oxford.ac.uk>
  • To: cc-uk AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [Cc-uk] CC-UK (CC-Scotland, CC-EW, CC-N.Ireland) etc
  • Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 12:17:10 +0000 (GMT)

Dear All,

Thank you for all your postings the last couple of days. These have been
extremely useful and constructive comments which have advanced the drafting
process and the conceptualisation of the CC-UK project. In particular:

(a) Regarding the CC-UK licences (i.e. CC-Scotland, CC-EW, CC-N. Ireland):
- Jonathan’s point is valid: the CC licences that explicitly refer to
the
jurisdiction of England and Wales will be henceforth called CC-EW. I have
made
the respective changes and am attaching the relevant draft. I will also raise
the issue during the phone conference on the 8th of December and since the
iCC
seem to be of the same opinion, we should consider the issue resolved.
- The three CC-UK licences need to remain as close to each other as
possible, i.e. we need all to keep working on the same text and make only the
changes rendered necessary by the intricacies of each national UK
jurisdiction.
The CC-EW has been drafted in such a fashion and I would expect the fruitful
exchange of opinions to continue for the other CC-UK licence drafts. Jonathan
has already indicated that “It wouldn't take long to do a Scottish draft; 95%
of the work has been done. The present team has indicated however that the
remaining 5% is beyond their interest and/or expertise. And why should it be
within either? I wouldn¹t have the nerve myself to publish a contract for use
under another system of law (and my professional insurance cover wouldn't
protect me if I did!).That is surely the point of 'national' projects under
CC.” In the drafting of the CC-EW licence we have chosen to “open source” the
licence process and take as many comments on board as possible. The emergence
of three instances (licences) of the CC-UK, as necessitated by the national
jurisdictions, is a case emphasising the maturing of the project. The next
step
in this process is continuing the process of sharing while working on the
standardisation and compatibility. It is important that the discussion
concerning the CC-Scotland licence continues on this mailing list, so that we
can all benefit from the exchange of opinions and drafts while retaining
standardisation.
(b) Regarding the use of the “CC-GB”:
- I think it would be better to stick with the CC-UK title to describe
all three national UK licences and then choose CC names that correspond to
the
jurisdictions as accurately as possible, e.g. CC-EW for England and Wales.
Introducing another new name at this stage will only add to confusion
(c) Regarding the use of open formats. I am now attaching the document in
RTF format (with some suggested but not final changes). I have had problems
with RTF format in the past as it did not display properly the “notes”
feature
of the word format, so I will try to post both in rtf and doc format from now
on.
(d) Regarding the integrity right: There have been intensive discussions
both on this list and off line concerning the way the integrity right should
be
treated. I’m still an advocate of letting the user decide(explicitly assert
or
waive the right), but this may not be possible at this stage because of
standardisation problems. You may find a document that explains the chronicle
of different solutions we have tried up to now and the related problems. In
the
latest draft of the licence you may find a suggestion by the iCC team. Let me
know what you think. I did not change the reference to the CC-UK 2.01,
because
that is the name we were using for the licence at the time. Needless to say
that this is an issue that needs to be treated uniformly by all the CC-UK
licences.

Please let me know what you think
Best,
Prodromos