cc-uk - Re: [Cc-uk] CC-UK (CC-Scotland, CC-EW, CC-N.Ireland) etc

  • From: Rob Myers <robmyers AT mac.com>
  • To: Prodromos Tsiavos <prodromos.tsiavos AT socio-legal-studies.oxford.ac.uk>
  • Cc: cc-uk AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-uk] CC-UK (CC-Scotland, CC-EW, CC-N.Ireland) etc
  • Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 13:32:07 +0000

On Monday, December 06, 2004, at 12:18PM, Prodromos Tsiavos
<prodromos.tsiavos AT socio-legal-studies.oxford.ac.uk> wrote:

>(b) Regarding the use of the ?CC-GB?:
>- I think it would be better to stick with the CC-UK title to describe
>all three national UK licences and then choose CC names that correspond to
>the
>jurisdictions as accurately as possible, e.g. CC-EW for England and Wales.
>Introducing another new name at this stage will only add to confusion

I agree with Hector's points regarding GB. Region codes are a mess.

Will the EW license need translating into Welsh?

>(d) Regarding the integrity right: There have been intensive discussions
>both on this list and off line concerning the way the integrity right should
>be
>treated. I?m still an advocate of letting the user decide(explicitly assert
>or
>waive the right), but this may not be possible at this stage because of
>standardisation problems. You may find a document that explains the
>chronicle
>of different solutions we have tried up to now and the related problems. In
>the
>latest draft of the licence you may find a suggestion by the iCC team. Let
>me
>know what you think.

Regarding the collecting societies' concerns, when I say "I waive my moral
rights", can I do so only for the purposes of the particular licensing, or
does it have to be a general waiver (e.g. if I license my work BY-NC-ND-~IN
then license the work commercially later, would I be able to raise integrity
objections to the commercial user or not?). If it is not a general waiver,
would they still object?

The IN module, whilst inkeeping with CC's guiding principle of giving people
control of their rights, still won't solve the problem as IIRC German
licensors won't be able to waive their integrity right and so won't be able
to choose ~IN . There are millions of CC-licensed items out there, AFAIK
mostly under the US license which is non-integrity. To allow CC-2.0 with
integrity to upgrade to CC-3.0 , the integrity module will have to be a
waiver rather than an assertion. This is in contrast with BY, which is
effectively an assertion of paternity, and with the other CC modules, which
are positively phrased requirements of the user. And this will clash with the
US and Canadian licenses.

My preferred option would still be to waive, at the very least for works that
allow derivation.

- Rob.