cc-sampling - [cc-sampling] Hello

cc-sampling AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of the Creative Commons Sampling license (or license option)

  • From: David meme <david AT locarecords.com>
  • To: cc-sampling AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [cc-sampling] Hello
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 13:29:20 +0100

Hi

I came across your list related to sampling and so forth and thought you might be interested in discovering that the label we run, LOCA RECORDS, releases records under the EFF.org Open Audio license. So we explicitly allow and in fact recommend the sampling of our works.

To our suprise we haven't received much interest in this idea at all and so I thought it might be interesting to see whether other people are involved in similar projects so that we could link up and share knowledge.

The website is http://www.locarecords.com

We are trying to maximise our releases onto vinyl (the last a 12" by ML was released with the text of the Open Audio license incorporated into the artwork design) besides there is something cool about an anti-copyright release on vinyl...

One question was whether people had discovered a 'better' licensing model, some people have recommended the CreativeCommons one, in fact I met Lawrence Lessig at a conference in Oxford, UK a few months ago and he said we should check this out. We drew up our own license the LOCA PUBLIC LICENSE at http://www.locarecords.com/LPL.html but wondered whether it wasn't better to use a standard generic license... Any advice comments etc would be gratefully received.

Cheers

David

L O C A R E C O R D S
Stick to What You Don't Know™