cc-sampling - Re: [cc-sampling] artistic credit?

cc-sampling AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of the Creative Commons Sampling license (or license option)

  • From: mark / negativland <markhosler AT charter.net>
  • To: "Glenn Otis Brown" <glenn AT creativecommons.org>, john AT dx.org, cc-sampling AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [cc-sampling] artistic credit?
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 11:29:29 -0700

At 10:02 AM -0800 5/30/03, Glenn Otis Brown wrote:
One issue that is not acknowledged in the draft - or
in
the discussion - is the question of crediting original work. I can't
decide
whether I think this should be a requirement of all sampling, and
certainly
if someone is using many sources it could be a hassle, but there are
certainly cases when I think it should be required, i.e. when a
substantial
portion of the original work is used as a substantial and identifiable
portion of the authentically new work. It seems fair that the creator of
the
sampled work should benefit from being recognized as a key contributor to
the audience's artistic enjoyment even if he/she does not ask a licensing
fee.

Good question, John -- we weren't clear enough about this up front. We
thought that the list discussion would focus only on the relevant
"pro-sampling" language, and that we'd consider how to make the sampling
language fit in with our existing license options -- including an
attribution requirement -- later on.
Most likely, this will happen: the licensor/copyright holder will be
given the option of requiring artistic credit when he or she picks the
sampling license. In practice this means that attribution will pretty
much always be required; I don't know of a sinlge person yet who hasn't
chosen the attribution requirement when picking one of our licenses.

I'd like to see the FAQ have some of Dons previuos explantion (it may have even been in the discussion we had before we went public with this) of why attribution is a good thing, culturally speaking.

mark

--Glenn

Cheers,
John Sobol

Digitopia Blues - Race, Technology and the American Voice
Banff Centre Press, 2002

john AT globalhood.net