cc-sampling - Re: [cc-sampling] scope of licenses.

cc-sampling AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of the Creative Commons Sampling license (or license option)

  • From: mark / negativland <markhosler AT charter.net>
  • To: Don Joyce <dj AT webbnet.com>, creative commons license list <cc-sampling AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [cc-sampling] scope of licenses.
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 18:16:11 -0700

Title: Re: [cc-sampling] scope of licenses.
        can others on this list reply to my questions??

mark

At 9:34 PM -0700 6/6/03, Don Joyce wrote:
There is a large industry now built up around copyright clearance fees in music, but an even larger industry around copyright clearance in film. All varieties of potential content owners have made this a surprise source of virtually unearned income, and will be loathe to lose it to a license that doesn't care about their income. On the other hand, movie makers themselves would welcome a license which removes all those impediments to re-use in the new job at hand. But whoever is paying to make the movie is probably not going to want a free re-use license on it, even if it gathered its own content that way, though I wonder exactly what harm is foreseen there...except for that unearned income potential.

I think free re-use should apply to film/video arts (potentially collage by nature of its editing) and everything else in all art mediums, known or unknown, (I don't know if software is an art form...) but the more expensive and investment heavy the creative form, the less likely this free re-use license will proliferate, because it's big bucks and hopes for more, not the artist, making the licensing decisions in those corporate, collaborative, big budget formats like film and TV.
DJ

I just got back from Barcelona doing a presentation on Negativland's work. The folks from 010101001001 brought it to my attention that there are alls sorts of progressive usage lisnces out there , the confusion being there are so many- for software, audio, visual, etc.....and they  felt that the variuos groups who came up with them were all in thier own worlds and  never talked to each other much and that this seemd like a bit of a mess to him. According to them, they tended to be very specific to each medium and not so universally applicable across mediums.

I assume part of the long term hope with creative commons licenses is that they become a standard used by anyone interested in this stuff, right? Or in CC's view, it it- teh mroe the merrier? How much are we trying to write this current license so it applies to collage and re-use in any medium, including software and films?

mark