cc-nz - Re: [Cc-nz] Best Practice for linking CC Stuff

cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion

  • From: Richard White <richard.white AT otago.ac.nz>
  • To: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion <cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-nz] Best Practice for linking CC Stuff
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2013 20:30:04 +0000

Interestingly, we are using the UC CEISMIC site as a good example for a citizen scientist project being mounted at Otago, where 'ordinary NZers' will contribute photos, data, observations etc.

What I like about the quake stories site is that it is very user-friendly in the way it presents the licensing information (e.g. when you click on the upload photo button).

"Only upload your own photos or photos that you have been given permission to use. All photos submitted to this site will be made available to others under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 license - 2011."

It's always a tricky balance as to how much information you provide people with, especially when those people won't be experts in rights management.  We're considering adding a little more in the way of explanatory text than is on the quake stories site, along the lines of 'you still own the copyright in the material and have the right to be acknowledged as the creator.'  To me, this is the kind of thing people might be put off by since there is that perception that you're giving your stuff away, so I want it to be up front.  Just clicking on the CC licence deed doesn't actually communicate this.  We'll also (probably) put a link to the full terms of use for a fuller explanation of things for those who want it.  Oh, and we'll use the NZ port of the licence.

There is a risk of over-complicating things, of course, one that I am particularly prone to.  But with a site where you want people to upload stuff you have to make it as easy for them as possible, which is what the quake stories site does.  I note that Paul's criticisms are more about meta-data and such - and how to do it.  I'm just adding what I think the site does well to the conversation.

Richard White | Subject Matter Expert, Student Management System Project & University Copyright Officer
Darwin House | 61 Clyde Street | University of Otago | Dunedin | New Zealand
Te Whare o Darwin | 61 Clyde Street | Te Whare Wānanga o Otago | Ōtepoti | Aotearoa