cc-nz - [Cc-nz] Making policy statements as CC/ CC governance

cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion

  • From: "Danyl Strype" <strypey AT riseup.net>
  • To: "Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion" <cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Cc-nz] Making policy statements as CC/ CC governance
  • Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 08:44:54 +1200

Tena koutou

The only argument that's come up against CC ANZ taking public policy positions *as an organization* is the risk of alienating potential allies. To me this is a good argument for choosing carefully what positions to take, and making sure they represent a consensus of the CC community, but not an argument against taking any position. For example, if changes to the Copyright Act were proposed that would break the CC licenses, we would have to campaign publicly against this, and it would be clearly within the scope of the CC mission.

It may be a useful exercise to consider the Free Software Foundation, whose core activities are to maintain the GNU General Public License, and encourage the communities developing and using free software, which parallels the CC mission of maintaining licenses and connecting with people making use of them. However, they are also outspoken on issues like software patents, and TPM (Technological Protection Mechanisms, also known as DRM - Digital Rights/ Restrictions Management), which have the potential to negatively affect the communities they work with.

I think the Wellington Declaration was carefully crafted to avoid casting us as foaming-mouthed cyber-luddites, and address the substance of our concerns. I would like to see CC jurisdictions, including CC ANZ, publicly supporting it as organizations, as well as individuals supporters. However, I would want to ensure that there is consensus on this from CC Aotearoa community, and that any concerns anyone has are addressed and resolved.

This brings up wider issues of CC ANZ decision-making and governance, which I'll address in a separate email.

Ma te wa
Danyl