cc-nz - Re: [Cc-nz] cc-nz Digest, Vol 51, Issue 5

cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion

  • From: Andy Linton <asjl AT lpnz.org>
  • To: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion <cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: Jane Hornibrook <janehornibrook AT gmail.com>
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-nz] cc-nz Digest, Vol 51, Issue 5
  • Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 14:49:05 +1200

On 16/04/10 Fri, Apr 16, 11:46, Jane Hornibrook wrote:
> Hi Leigh,
>
> Yes of course I know you! Good to hear from you....
>
> I guess what I asking was "Should the mission and scope of each Creative
> Commons project be sufficiently wide enough to encompass activities like
> publicACTA in it's everyday business?"
>
> As you probably know, by shifting our CC project to a new 'host'
> organisation, we're in a process of planning our growing structure and
> revisiting our scope. I'd like to keep CC's activities as wide as possible,
> and was wondering whether other CC projects around the world would have
> considered working on something like publicACTA as an appropriate activity
> they would take up with their CC swords blazing.
>
> My answer to that was "I'm unsure".

I think Jane raises an excellent point here. It seems likely that those
who support the ideals of Creative Commons will be concerned about any
move that seems as though it will stifle creativity and free exchange of
ideas but where does the Creative Commons mission boundary fall?

My personal opinion is that this is pretty much in scope but this sort
of question needs to be one that gets asked again and again.