cc-nz - Re: [Cc-nz] cc.org.nz

cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion

  • From: Danyl Strype <strypey AT riseup.net>
  • To: cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: "Brian.Opie" <Brian.Opie AT vuw.ac.nz>
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-nz] cc.org.nz
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 17:34:04 +1300

Kia ora koutou

Robin <robin AT kallisti.net.nz>:

Just a note, as my contribution (provided it's not needed too much before the
end of Jan when I get back to .nz from a holiday/Linux.conf in .au), I'd be
happy to take some of the load of server/software management. <<

I think Brian is hoping to have version 1.0 of the site up and running by mid-Feb in anticipation of the planned launch of the licenses at National Library on Feb 28. His CWA team will be taking responsibility for implementation but I'm sure they would be happy to have input and support from others. Maybe email Brian directly (Brian.Opie AT vuw.ac.nz) to get in touch with CWA?

Jonathan Ah Kit <jonathan AT metalab.unc.edu>:

What about a content database? Would need 'protection' from adverts or other spam but would be fun for teachers and other educators to point their students to for resources for their assignments (referenced, of course). <<

That's a cool idea. In my experience with Indymedia I've found that content hosting and open-publishing software adds quite a lot of complexity for the back-end coders, load on the webserver and demand on resources (eg hard drive space). On the other hand a web-form on cc.org.nz which allows users to choose a license and choose from a list of services which already offer free uploads could be a helpful resource:
http://www.registeredcommons.org/
http://www.Archive.org/
YouTube
etc

RnB
Strypey

--
"But libertarians do not defend the right of people to smash holes in the hull
of a crowded ship, or to let off bombs in city centres. Freedom does not

mobile: 021 11 77 578
Community Access News: http://www.indymedia.org.nz/
Artist Rights: http://www.creativecommons.org/

Thunderbird instead of Outlook Express. Windows on a PC
block viruses like windows on a house block sunlight ;)