cc-nz - [Cc-nz] Otago Polytechnic is getting there

cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion

  • From: "Leigh Blackall" <leighblackall AT gmail.com>
  • To: cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Cc-nz] Otago Polytechnic is getting there
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 20:44:12 +1300

Hello everyone. I've been chatting with Danyl Strype after expressing interest to CCi about developing CC in NZ. I was very pleased to hear that is already underway.

I'm just dropping a line to say hi. Links about me are below. I work in Educational Development at Otago Polytechnic down in Dunedin. Yesterday I had a meeting with the CEO and Deputy CEO regarding our IP policy here. I'm pleased to say that we are working towards a default copyright statement for all our IP being CC-by.

We are also making it very clear that all IP belongs to the creator, but that when/if the Polytechnic publishes it will be under a CC-by unless the individual or other stakeholder expresses a wish counter to that. This way we enable protection of cultural expressions or clear commercial interests etc, but only when it is indicated so.

The IP Policy is only in draft, but that's the general thrust of it. Hopefully it will survive the naysayers and Otago Poly can go Open Courseware.

So, any suggestions on good wording or other things worth considering would be welcome. Needless to say, the sooner we have a NZ CC statement the better. Unfortunately, I do not have a legal background, and nor am I familiar with NZ Copyright (I come from Australia), but anything I can do to help, please feel free to ask.

Regards
Leigh Blackall

Leigh Blackall
+64(0)21736539
skype - leigh_blackall
http://leighblackall.wikispaces.org/

  • [Cc-nz] Otago Polytechnic is getting there, Leigh Blackall, 01/16/2007