cc-nz - Re: [Cc-nz] Peter Jenner says "DRM is dead"

cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion

  • From: "Hamish MacEwan" <hamish.macewan AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Creative Commons Aotearoa (NZ)" <cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-nz] Peter Jenner says "DRM is dead"
  • Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2006 17:35:40 +1300

On 11/11/06, Mark Harris <anarchist AT tracs.co.nz> wrote:

A very interesting interview on where the music industry is going and
what the future might hold for DRM.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/11/03/peter_jenner/

"Few people know the music industry better than Peter Jenner. Pink
Floyd's first manager, who subsequently managed Syd Barrett's solo
career, Jenner has also looked after T.Rex, The Clash, Ian Dury,
Disposable Heroes and Billy Bragg - who he manages today. He's also
secretary general of the International Music Managers Forum."

His ideas of participation seem legacy, and suggests he lacks a clue,
perhaps the result of being embedded in the incumbency for so long:

"I think it would be wonderful if the government could lock everyone
in a room - the music industry, the unions, the performers, the record
companies, the publishers, the ISPs - and tell them you can't be let
out until you sort it all out."

Ah, there's the solution, the state, the industry and the
participants. No customer representation, we can just wait patiently
till our betters decide.

No, I don't think it is going to be that way.

The idea of a state imposed collection system (AKA taxation), which is
then left to private entities to distribute as they see fit, doesn't
seem the best option for creators. The disintermediation of the
incumbents and connection of producers to consumers (accepting that in
different contexts those roles reverse) directly will test if the
incumbents do anything necessary, or better, something that people
want to pay them for.

I don't think the incumbents (a transitory role at best) will vanish,
just decline to the degree their contribution merits, as the other
centralised command and control models have.

Hamish.
--
http://protopage.com/Hamish.MacEwan